• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 9.3x62mm

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
The subject of Sakos in 9.3x62 has come up on a couple of threads, so I thought it was time to post mine. This is an AV sporter with a European style rear sight (Most AV rifles exported to the US had Williams sights if they had sights at all; the front sight on this one does appear to be from Williams). I believe it is a bringback, as it has no importer stampings. Barrel is 24". The scope is a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x in Sako low mounts (one of the few times I've ever been able to use Sako low mounts). I got the rifle from a close friend back in Virginia somewhere around 2001-2003. He had this one and a Mannlicher carbine in the same caliber and took some time deciding which he would sell to me. Unfortunately for me, he was as big a fan of the carbines as I am and decided to keep the Mannlicher.

The stock has pretty nice wood, but the factory finish is problematical. I can run my fingers over it and feel the uneven surface. Either it was never sanded out properly, or the finish did not fully seal the surface and the drying process has resulted in a wavy surface. I can even see sanding marks here and there that look like about 100-150 grit. Pretty lame. I'd sort of like to refinish it in tung oil but I've got a lot of more interesting projects ahead of it in the queue.

I haven't shot it in years, but as best I recall accuracy was about 1.5 MOA with 286 grain Norma factory ammo. That's plenty for any animal you're going to be shooting with a caliber intended for big game at short to medium range. The 9,3x62, designed by Otto Bock, was introduced before WWI as an African cartridge for all but the biggest game. It is based on the .30-06 case and therefore can be compared to the .35 Whelen, but the Europeans load it to higher pressures than the Whelen and the hottest factory loadings are at the lower end of the .375 H&H range. Bullet diameter is 0.366", just halfway between the .35 (0.358") and the .375. The cartridge was very popular among European and South African hunters for game such as lion, waterbuck, and eland. Recoil is stiff, but still surprisingly mild for its capabilities. Mine is not unpleasant to shoot, even though the recoil pad has hardened to the consistency of a brick. However, at least it hasn't flattened out, as is the case with so many early L61R's (unfortunately including my .300 H&H).

Here are the photos.

AV-1.JPG AV-2.JPG AV-3.JPG AV-4.JPG AV-5.JPG AV-6.JPG AV-7.JPG

Last edited:
No sense in trying to refinish it. Better to send it to me & spend your time on your current projects. I could squeeze it in my safe & relieve the overcrowding in yours!

I've run into three 9.3's over the past few years, posted about them. An AV in a shop in Laramie that a gent from Alberta bought, 1900.00+ fees, I found an AIV Safari grade in CO that the GS proprietor jacked me around on. And latest was an L691 fullstock that I hemmed and hawked on too long. (Not usually an issue with me, rookie mistake!)

How about another somewhat hard to find metric, the 7x64? I chased one overnight and about 150 miles to an auction only to have the winning high bid hit my pre-set maximum by an earlier bidder. But luck was with me and just a few weeks later I came across what turned out to be an unfired A-V on an auction that I got for several hundred less than I had been willing to pay on the first one.

I already had an A-V in .280 and thought it would be interesting to compare them. The .280 happens to be a little more accurate, but that's luck of the draw. In terms of powder and velocity it's hard to tell any difference.

How about another somewhat hard to find metric, the 7x64? I chased one overnight and about 150 miles to an auction only to have the winning high bid hit my pre-set maximum by an earlier bidder. But luck was with me and just a few weeks later I came across what turned out to be an unfired A-V on an auction that I got for several hundred less than I had been willing to pay on the first one.

I already had an A-V in .280 and thought it would be interesting to compare them. The .280 happens to be a little more accurate, but that's luck of the draw. In terms of powder and velocity it's hard to tell any difference.

I have a German custom rifle in 7x64, which I have posted on this forum. It is quite accurate with the right ammunition (Europeans generally load 7mm rifles with heavier bullets than we do). I was the losing bidder in a recent Gunbroker auction for a Sako Mannlicher-style carbine that went for well over $3,000. Just couldn't justify going any higher, although I wanted the gun rather badly. The same seller auctioned an AV sporter in 7x64 for quite a bit less, but I decided to pass. Saw another one on GB a year or so ago, but it was in lousy condition. I'd certainly be interested if another one came along, especially a carbine.

Performance of 7x64, .280, and .270 is all but identical. The 7x64 has slightly less powder capacity because of the tapered case, but the difference is insignificant, especially as the Europeans typically load to higher pressures than do American ammunition makers.

JPS 2.JPG

Try some Norma 232 gr factory loads in it, they are quite comfortable to let off - amazing how much less perceived recoil. Unfortunately,with the insanity
occuring now, it appears the pipeline has dried up, bullets still available both in Oryx and Vulcan, Nosler 250's also quite comfortable to fire, if you're setup
to load your own

Try some Norma 232 gr factory loads in it, they are quite comfortable to let off - amazing how much less perceived recoil. Unfortunately,with the insanity
occuring now, it appears the pipeline has dried up, bullets still available both in Oryx and Vulcan, Nosler 250's also quite comfortable to fire, if you're setup
to load your own
Thanks for the info. I've only shot the 286-grain Norma in my rifle. I have the dies, but due to time pressure from other projects, I'm not reloading these days. I'll keep my eyes open for the 232-grain Norma at a a good price. Somehow I doubt that the current run on ammo has had much effect on non-standard loads for little-known European calibers. Everybody is out of 9mm, .380, .357, .45acp, and .223, but 9.3x62? I have a ton of the 286-grain Norma, acquired a box or two at a time at gun shows and closeout sales. Haven't shot the Sako in years, but since I've had it out of the safe I might just take it out and shoot a box of ammo through it - when the county range reopens.

Latest posts

Back