Sako Sako 85 Trigger Assembly Issue - Looking for help

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by nv_breton, Oct 4, 2021.

1. nv_breton

nv_breton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    I was shooting my Sako 85 Finnlight today and had what appears to be a small, flat pin or cap come off the trigger assembly. From what I can see, this pin or cap exists on both sides of the front of the assembly. Only came loose. I did not notice the piece immediately and it is likely that 2 shots were fired after the piece came loose, with no apparent loss of functionality. But, missing pieces on a firearm are never good, so I am trying to understand more about this part and if I need a new trigger assembly or not. I could not find any information on the part online, so came here hoping for some information and help.

I’ve (hopefully) attached photos of the part and where I believe it was located to help illustrate my description. Thank you in advance for any info or help you can offer.
    92FD5147-975C-4267-AD2F-E6AAA96693F1.jpeg 181BB8CE-578B-4B33-BAC5-746EF2FCEACC.jpeg

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Interesting. The pin that holds the magazine ejector plate in place should be single long pin that goes through and pokes out the both sides. Unless it sheared. Can you give measurements on the diameter of the piece and maybe flip it over to see what the possibly sheared surface looks like? It could be something else.

Is it magnetic by any chance?

3. nv_breton

nv_breton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thanks for the response. I took another look at the piece and it does not appear to be sheared, but I wouldn't rule it out. More photos of each side are included, but getting a good close up was tough. It is magnetic.

I am at the office and don't have my calipers, will post measurements later tonight.

I've also attached a stock photo of the trigger assembly and circled what I think I am dealing with. This would certainly lead me to believe it is a sheared piece, just doesn't look like it.

Part_side_1.jpg Part_side_2.jpg TriggerAssembly.jpg

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Is it a magnet itself? Because it looks exactly like one of those little neodymium magnets you can get from an office supply store. If so, I have no idea what it was doing on your gun. Certainly doesn't look like a sheared piece of any of the pins in the trigger. Or anything else found on a model 85.

5. nv_breton

nv_breton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Ok, so I’ve got to laugh at myself a little here because this is a bit embarrassing. It is a magnet and came off my Leupold scope covers. There are magnets to keep the covers closed, but couldn’t tell one was missing as apparently this isn’t the first one to come off, so the missing part was not obvious.

P04R - thanks for taking the time to respond and offer help. In the end, your magnet comment was enough to trigger the “I know exactly what that is” moment.

6. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Great! Mystery solved! :D