Sako 85 Kodiak scope mount

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by AKforager, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AKforager

AKforager Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Hi folks.

I'm having a problem...

I have a Kodiak in .375, and currently have a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 on it. The current scope mount is iffy, but I'm out of ideas.

The problem is that I need to have this scope on QD/QR rings for easy detachment and use with open sights. The only options my gunsmith and I have been able to come up with are Leopold QR and Talley QR. Leopold has some issues with the QR tabs--they can just break right off--so it's Talley or nothing.

So, the scope is mounted on Talley bases and QR rings, and due to the magnum length action is on extended bases, which stretch into the breach a bit.

My gunsmith has done a great job of cutting the corners off the bases so that the rifle feeds flawlessly and I can easily throw in an additional round in a pinch without running into obstruction.

Flawlessly, that is, except that live rounds don't eject--they extract and then run into the base and fall back into the action.

This isn't a serious problem--empties eject just fine, which is the key thing. But I'd like to have things run a little more smoothly with *all* aspects of feeding and ejecting.

Anybody have ideas, experience, suggestions? Other rings / brands out there? I know optilock made a QR setup for a bit, but it was ridiculously expensive.

I don't want to have to resort to mounting a rail... :(

2. AKforager

AKforager Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Well, never mind, please disregard the above. It turns out that the issue is not the scope mount, it is actually the Swarovski turret. Because of the ejection angle and the relatively fat turret the round runs into the scope itself when ejected.

So, since this is only an issue with ejecting live rounds, and empties eject flawlessly, I’m just not going to worry about it and will simply use the magazine when I need to empty unfired rounds.