Sako 85 Grey Wolf .300 WSM

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by CidGrad90, Nov 25, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't think that the A-series bolt's striker shroud would have made any difference in this case. The shroud protects against gas coming back through the firing pin hole inside of the bolt and expelled rearward from the rear of the bolt. This occurs primarily when a primer is pierced.

The gas from a case failure like was experience here is, fortunately, sealed off from the firing pin opening by the intact primer. Rather, the gas goes into the lug raceways, the LH one being vented through the action ring, and the RH one of which is blocked by the bolt guide. It is the existence of this bolt guide which keeps the dislodged extractor from being flung rearward (and perhaps into the face of the shooter) and also diverts most of the gas from coming directly back at the shooter. Remington 700 actions converted to use a Sako extractor have no such bolt guide and thus subject the shooter to significant hazard if a case failure like this one occurs.

paulsonconstruction likes this.

2. CidGrad90

CidGrad90 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    Follow up post: The hunting season was saved. I wound up using my nephew’s Tikka T3 in .300WSM. My father was keeping it at his house and since my nephew wasn’t planning on using it anytime soon, it was mine to use for the week. On day 4, at about 5:20pm I put it to use. Single shot at about 150 yards and an 8 point buck was down.

The short action did not phase me. I had quickly cycled a new round with no issues for an unneeded follow up shot. That being said, I find the current difficulty in finding ammunition in that caliber a driver for what rifle I buy as my second hunting rifle. I may go with a .300 Win Mag. Either way, I am still looking at a Sako 85 as the platform.

Attached Files: