Barrel Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM rebarrel

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by John Wakegijig, Sep 21, 2021.

1. John Wakegijig

John Wakegijig Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    After almost of decade of shooting plenty of rounds down my Finnlight 300 WSM, I believe I am in need of a new barrel. Has anyone out there rebarrelled their Finnlight - if yes, what countour brand and contour did you use? I contacted Berretta Canada to see if they could provide with my barrel contour measurements - they were less than helpful and that is being kind.

Given that I have a McMillan Hunters Edge Sako Hunter stock that was inletted for a "Factory Finnlight Magnum Contour" AND the narrow fore-end allows me to go up to a #4 Douglas contour (as per McMillan website), I am a little nervous that I will make a mistake in ordering a barrel.

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Not sure who’s barrel you’re considering if your Finnlight is shot out, but Pac Nor for instance recommends sending your barrel to them for exacting and precise contouring. Some/most companies have a guide which shows places along the barrel to take dial caliper measurements. Sometimes there are subtle differences between various companies factory contouring. So accuracy is important as I’m sure you’re aware. Pac Nor can also can properly fit the barrel to the action if you were to send them barreled action. I’m sure others barrel makers offer the same service. Pac Nor just happens to be located conveniently to where I live. Not sure if you plan on doing it yourself, but the price is competitive to what a gunsmith would charge. I see you’re in Canada, so I’m not sure about shipping, or if you’re buying local.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not all barrel makers offer custom contouring but, as bigcountry4me says, Pac-Nor can match your barrel contour & install the barrel to your action & you can pick the rifling you want. Not sure if you can get it shipped to them & back without hassles between Canada & the US, but a call to them may answer that question. Check with any Canadian barrel makers to see if they offer they same. Matching the contour will probably require you to send your barreled action to them or find a gunsmith who can turn a barrel to match in Canada. You can also order a standard #3 or #4 contour, have it fluted to cut weight, and carve out your barrel channel to match. Good luck!!