• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine 9.3x62 optics query

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello Sako lovers.

I am in the process of acquiring a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in 9.3x62. I will be using this rifle mainly to hunt wild boar in the US and hopefully do a driven wild boar hunt in Europe.

I have a Kahles 1-6x24 K16i 30mm scope I would like to use on this rifle. What scope ring height would I need to buy considering the scope that I have and the Bavarian style stock that this rifle comes in. Aside from the Optilock, what other scopes can you guys suggest? I would am considering a QD scope ring. Is this a good idea?

Is there anyway I can mount a mini red dot on this rifle instead of a scope? I am thinking of using a Trijicon RMR in the near future for the driven wild boar hunts that I want to do.

Thank you.

Hello Jayjay,
The 85 Bavarian Carbine is a beautiful rifle! In 9.3x62, I hope you are shooting wild boars the size of a moose! I have never hunted boar, but I guess like any other game, it depends on how far a shot you are going to make; brush/woods, or open country. The Kahles you have would be great for what you want to hunt. The only thing I can think of that might be something to look at would be see-through scope mounts that allow you to use the scope for distance/still shots and the see-through option with the front sight for close-in moving hogs. Old Sako high-rings have the see-through option but I don't know if these will work on a model 85. Your 85 Bavarian with the Kahles scope would be a very classy and effective combo in the western U.S. for Elk, Moose and Bear. You can't go wrong with the Optilocks! Carl

Hello Carl.

Thank you very much for your reply. I would probably not use the iron sights on the rifle. I would like to mount my scope low enough to achieve a proper cheek weld with the Bavarian stock. What Optilock height should I look into?

I would love to hunt bear!

Hello Jayjay, I checked around and from what I have seen, the Talley scope rings seem to be very popular among Sako 85 shooters. I still believe the Optilock scope rings are excellent. With the Bavarian cheek piece, I would go with the low or medium's. Low mounts would probably work fine with the small objective on your Kahles and the cheek piece on your 85. Carl

Back