• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 75 or 85 for WSM cartridges?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kj60

I have a Rem 700 in 300 WSM, nothing wrong with it at all - but I only own and use sako L-series rifles in 5 calibers so far - very happy with them but now wanting a WSM cartridge and of course these are not available in any pre- 75 or 85 models. I've never even handled a 75 or 85 but interested in opinions on which one to look out for. I know the 85 has a different bolt face - supposedly to better pick up rounds ?? - but is it really better - especially re WSM's.

Thanks

I've never owned or fired an 85, but the Model 75 never had any issues with ejection -- and the 75's bolt face works the same as the previous five decades of Sakos, so I would personally opt for the 75.

I've never owned or fired an 85, but the Model 75 never had any issues with ejection -- and the 75's bolt face works the same as the previous five decades of Sakos, so I would personally opt for the 75.
Hi Stonecreek - a very good point - thanks

I own an 85 in 7 mm 08. Works flawlessly. Lots of features on this rifle. Set trigger. Free floated barrel. Removable magazine (all steel). Special button near safety to allow unloading on safe mode. Bolt face is Mauser style in that it is flat but it has the Sako extractor. Mechanical ejector. It is also about a pound lighter than my AV (although the AV is a long action).

Regarding ejection it ejects the spent casing farther without the scope which I guess means the case is glancing off the scope as it comes out. But it has never failed to eject. Never left one in the action.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pick 85 for WSM. The magazine is too small to have 4 rounds in it with one in the chamber. In other words full magazine will not fit in the gun with the bolt closed. You can force it. I have also seen an issue where the bottom right locking lug (iirc) would catch on the shoulder of 2nd and 4th cartridge of the magazine and make a dent on the shoulder.

I don't know if the 75 is any better in this regard. I would assume not, because the bolt locking lug design is the same.

Last edited:
I have a 75 270 wsm. Great rifle. No issues whatsoever. I have an 85 308 that is also great. But I’d prefer the 75 if you have the option.

Latest posts

Back