• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 75 350 WSM vs 338 win mag

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

letzhunt

OK here's the deal. I love the Sako 75 and I have several. My go-to is a custom barreled 300wsm but I also have a custom 260 rem long range target gun and a 338 win mag with a short barrel and iron sights and the odd ball one is a Sako 75 wsm that was rebarrel to what is called the 358 jett. It was for use in Indiana for deer because it fit a specific cartridge length and bore size. Indiana just changed the rules again so I don't need the jett to use a rifle now. The jett is basically a wsm case shortened to 1.8" with the shoulder getting bumped back and has a bore of .350 (.358). I was thinking of just having it re-chambered to the longer 358wsm also known as the 35 sambar or 35/300 wsm. This is just the 300 wsm (or 325 wsm) necked up to 358 with no other changes.
Yes it is still a wildcat but much less obscure than a 358 jett. I have redding dies for it already and it won't take much to have it done.
My dilemma is because I have a 338 win mag already........they both basically fit into the same category. All my Sakos wear McMillan stocks so not sure if I should keep one over the other. Is there much market for a 358 WSM? I shoot and hunt with all of my rifles and don't tend to hang onto stuff that I don't use. I don't mind bridging the gaps on rifle calibers but no need for two rifles that are nearly the same. The 338 has iron sights and a 21" barrel the 358 wsm will use the same barrel the jett has and is 26".

Is there much market for a 358 WSM?

Generally speaking, the resale market for unusual wildcat cartridges, even when built on very desirable rifle actions, is rather weak and it is very difficult to recoup the money you put into one.

The ".35 WSM" would fall in power right in between the .35 Whelan and the .358 Norma. .35 caliber rifles aren't especially popular in the U.S. to begin with, and a wildcat .35 even less so. Not that it wouldn't be a fine-shooting, powerhouse round in a short action bolt gun.

The 21" barrel kinda takes the "magnum" part out of the name, IMHO. The standard 338 round would be easier to sell than the wildcat as Stone has pointed out. Whether you leave it as a Jett or rechamber to the WSM it will be very difficult to find a buyer, so the market place is dictating your choice more than anything else.

Latest posts

Back