Sako 75 22-250 - Special Edition??

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by cl_leg, Oct 10, 2020.

1. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    A friend has an opportunity to buy this rifle. I have never heard of a "special edition". the stock has a few sako features but I am not sure. It does come in original box but no other markings on it to say what it is other than a 75 22-250
    Any ideas if factory original or otherwise??
    RxurK8H.jpg
    WVEv2da.jpeg
    f9q5mRO.jpg
    5Babhbv.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Never seen that kind of 75 stock. I'd say it's not factory. What does the original box say about it? Does the buttplate have Sako logo on it?

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The stock is certainly different in its checkering and has outstanding wood figure, but has the Sako escutcheon in the pistol grip and has the same configuration as a factory Model 75 stock. The "Special Edition" is probably a model that Stoeger Canada distributed. Nice!

Charles Witt likes this.
  4. Charles Witt

Charles Witt Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Looks like an original stock to me. Shape is the same as my 75's and the pistol grip medallion is a match, as well. The checkering is different than I have seen on a 75, and the wood is nicer.

5. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Can you get a photo of the box end label? I think this looks suspicious. I would not put any extra value on the stock. The shape is correct, but the checkering looks too wonky.

6. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    "Wonky"? Please. I'd say very nice fleur-de-lis patterns. (Maybe instead of "wonky," Po4R meant unusual for a Sako rifle.) Incorporating fleurs adds greatly to the complexity of the checkering patterns—making them considerably more difficult to execute than simpler point patterns. I've had fleur-de-lis patterns done on several of my custom rifles. My favorite is the fleur-de-lis with ribbon pattern as seen below. To me, the checkering on the stock of that Sako Special Edition posted by cl_leg increases the value of the rifle considerably.

[​IMG]

Although they are probably not widely known, a number of aesthetic upgrades are offered by Sako with their “Sako Premium,” “Sako Bespoke,” and “Sako Custom” options. To see these, go to:

https://www.sako.fi/rifles#rifles,

then scroll down to “Download Sako_Rifles_2019.pdf".

Once in the pdf file, go to pages 32-35 to see the various upgrades Sako can provide.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:38 AM
    Charles Witt likes this.
  7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I meant the outer border is wavy and the fleurs aren't very symmetrical.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes.......I didn't notice it at first, but when you blow the pictures up, the uneven patterns become very apparent.

9. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Interesting. On my screen, the patterns look fine and symmetric. Just for interest, one variation of fleur patterns (and a pattern that is a little easier to execute) is Lenard Brownell’s Western Fleur (or Spade) pattern, shown below first on a Canyon Creek and second on a Cooper rifle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charles Witt likes this.