Sako 6ppc Sporter Question

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by texasaggie09, Apr 15, 2017.

1. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hi, I just picked a Sako AI 6ppc in the Sporter configuration. My question is about the stock... it looks like a Deluxe but has no checkering. It has the rosewood forend cap, Vixen on the grip, engraved floor plate, and Sako pad. I have never seen one with no checking though. Is this factory? If so, is this a rare/scarce rifle? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    That deluxe stock has met up with a grinding wheel.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My opinion is that the stock pictured did not leave the factory that way with that barreled action. It may not even be the stock that action came with. It's either a botched up Deluxe stock that someone mated to the barreled action or it was modified by someone who owned the rifle. Heck, it could even be someone's attempt to duplicate Deluxe features. The bottom metal may have come from another rifle as well. It's anybody's guess what that is, but it is definitely not factory original & only "rare" in that it is a mistake not repeated. Too bad we don't have factory records for that era or we could find out how it left the factory.

5. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks. I didn't figure it left the factory like this. I am a dealer and this came in a group I bought today. It's going off to Gunbroker.

Thanks again!

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It appears to be a Sako factory Deluxe stock which has been sanded down and given an oil or matte finish. Probably done due to some cosmetic damage to the stock like deep scratches or gouges. It could be original to the rifle as there were a few 6mm PPC Deluxe sporters made, and the metal bluing looks shiny enough to be a deluxe.

7. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    A photo of the barrel channel and a close up of the area of the black spacer on the recoil pad should shed more light on the subject.
    Anything is possible coming out of the factory.

8. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I just picked up this deluxe 6mm PPC and they are quite rare. It has a cheekpiece as any deluxe would, the look of the wood on your stock is not very nice, but the grip cap is certainly original looking...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    My guess, it is a deluxe rifle with a deluxe stock. The blueing looks deep. Most likely it has been sanded down. It would take a lot of material removal. Only if you could have a side by side comparison. Its hard to tell with pics. Is the palm swell still there?? All deluxes that I have seen in that era are a high luster polish finish.