Sako 57 trigger identification

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Michael mcsputnik, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Michael mcsputnik

Michael mcsputnik Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I need help finding what is the make and model of this trigger. It was supposed to be a timney trigger installed in the 1970s.

Attached Files:

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    It sure looks like a sako L57 trigger installed at the factory .

Wayne likes this.
  3. Michael mcsputnik

Michael mcsputnik Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    It might very well be a sako original trigger. I’m finding a lot about this gun that was supposed to be isn’t true. It was also supposed to be a Douglass barrel and that was corrected on this forum to be a sako Barrel. When I took the barrel off it did say Sako 244 factory barrel. I don’t see any thing wrote on the trigger and you would think it would have a name on it if we’re a aftermarket trigger. Some of the experts here will know for sure.

4. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Mike, I believe that you have your expert answer, when misako50 replied to your question. Enjoy your dad`s old Sako L57. Wayne

misako50 likes this.
  5. Michael mcsputnik

Michael mcsputnik Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Well the next question I would like to ask is the original l57 trigger increase pull wait moving the screw clock wise or counter clock wise.

6. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Michael- Best I can tell you is that it has been a long time since I messed with an L57 trigger. You could try to test it moving one way and then the other with dummies. If you are not confident in doing so then a good smith can try to adjust it for you. I didn't get a lot of "lightness" messing with an L57. L579 was a different story and created more problems than solutions. with slam fires and such. And so it goes.....a light trigger in less than "enlightened" hands can be a dangerous can of worms. I never liked a light trigger much because I was not interested in bench shooting.

Old Hippie likes this.
  7. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Michael, use the search function at the top of the page by typing in L57 Trigger Adjustment in the category Sako Medium Actions to see my post regarding an L57 trigger I adjusted. But like Misako said, if you're not confident get a gunsmith to adjust it for you. Good luck.

misako50 likes this.
  8. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  9. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Geez, Doug. That looks like " It takes a Village" to adjust a Sako trigger but all the good stuff is there for success of all kinds. I still remember monkeying around with the old Forester deluxe until I finally got it back to a practical "pull" with no slam fire. Too proud at age 16 to make a run to my favorite gunsmith. That would take all the fun out of it.

tripledeuce and gunner620 like this.
  10. Michael mcsputnik

Michael mcsputnik Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks guys I did get a snap cap and will try to adjust the trigger pull a little heavier than what it is now. It it’s so light now that it’s not safe. It appears that turning itclockwise increases the pull weight. Which seems to fit with the set screw is out a lot and turning it clock wise might be the only way possible to turn it. Is there a tool that is used to measure the pull weight. It sounds like 2-3 lbs is a good amount. What do you guys think.

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    RCBS makes a trigger pull gauge that sells for around $30. If you can't find one locally you can order from Brownell's. There are fancy electronic ones too if you are a "high tech" guy, but they are pretty pricy for the simple task of adjusting trigger pull weight.

12. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    2-3 lbs is still a VERY light hunting trigger. Not to say it can’t be used..but a 2 lb pull can go bang real easy under stress or excitement! If you get fired up about a huge buck or trophy animal of whatever species, finger in the guard, your rifle can go off before you’re ready! I’d suggest 3.5-4 lbs
    If you only plan to shoot targets at the range, 2-3 lbs is great.

Bloo

misako50 likes this.
  13. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Just one small bit of advice......You can get used to a nice stout pull and shoot very well with it. It all comes with practice and experience. I don't like to tell people what weight to go to as I feel strongly about getting used to what you like and not what someone else might like. Much in agreement with Bloos statements.

14. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I got a Lyman digital pull gauge from Midway for just a few bucks more than a spring gauge. It's more consistent and precise than the spring gauge, and has a much wider range of pull weights. The extended range is irrelevant if you're only using it for sporting rifles and single-action pistols, but I have numerous military weapons, DA revolvers, etc. that have pull weights well off the scale of my brass pull gauge.

I agree with Misako about getting used to a somewhat heavier pull weight. As long as the trigger breaks cleanly, you can shoot a 4-pound trigger just as well as a 2-pounder, if you practice with it. Military sniper rifles don't have hair triggers, and they are no problem to shoot accurately.