Sako 338 imported by stoeger

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Joe Battaglia, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Joe Battaglia

Joe Battaglia Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hello to All! I am a new member. I’m hoping to get some information on a rifle which I acquired used about 25 years ago. It is a Sako 338 Mag serial number AIII 532739 made in Finland it has a synthetic stock (black) blued barrell. I do not see any other markings on it other then Made in Finland. Imported by Stoeger on the bottom of the barrell. Does anyone know any specifics on this particular rifle? Based on that info? The barrell has been magna ported assuming done after original owner purchased it. Can the bolt action be identified with that data?

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hi Joe, The AIII on the reciever is actually the model number and by the sounds of the stock it could be the Fiberclass version rather than the more common timber stocks. The AIII is the upgrade version of Sako's L61R, with the only change being the inclusion of a closed bolt shroud. We will need pics to confirm for sure if the stock is the fibreclass version made for Sako by McMillan.. Does your but pad have Sako stamped on it?

3. Joe Battaglia

Joe Battaglia Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois

4. Joe Battaglia

Joe Battaglia Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Hello, thank you for your reply. The recoil pad has the word Supreme molded into it. In further recollection I actually purchased this rifle used 30 years ago. The seller described it as a sniper rifle. From memory he also told me it has a Mauser action. It came with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 -10 50mm. The action is really slick.

Attached Files: