Sako 270 AIII scope recommendations

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Jim Curlee, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Jim Curlee

Jim Curlee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I have a Sako AIII in 270.
    There is a Redfield Widefield scope currently mounted on the rifle.
    I have several nice Leupold scopes, none of them will mount up on my rifle.
    The “bells” are not far enough apart.
    Any recommendations on any scope that would fit on my rifle?
    Thanks
    Jim

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    What mounts/rings are you using? The only Leupold scopes I know that "may" not work are the compact or smaller models made for rimfires. Almost any standard hunting scope should work.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You might need extension rings which will place your rings closer together.

What brand are your current rings? If they are the original Sako ringmounts then you may need to grind the little lug on the rear ring off to allow it to mount further forward. It would help a great deal if you could post a photo of your current set-up. Depending on what it looks like I could suggest several solutions.

4. Jim Curlee

Jim Curlee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    This is my current setup.
    Would like a little more magnification, gettin old is tough. LOL
    Jim

Attached Files:

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The Redfield front base has the ring extended more forward than ideal for what you’re after. Typically the front ring would be better suited if it were just forward of the loading/ejection port. The “L” length action makes spacing a problem. If I was going with Leupold scope, I’d remove both bases and purchase a set of Leupold ringmounts, or vintage Sako medium ringmounts. Best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If you get a set of Leupold ringmounts that clamp directly to the dovetails you can put the rings anywhere along the dovetails to accommodate the tube length of about any scope out there. Your current mounts restrict you to one ring location, thus limiting your scope options. Like others have said, the original Sako ringmounts would give you the same options. The ring height would be dictated by your scope's objective bell diameter.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  7. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What is the distance from the back of your rear ring to the front of the front ring with your existing mounts? I can measure some scopes to see if they are long enough to clear the front ring. I'm thinking that the Leupold 3.5-4x, 4-12x, and 4.5-14x, all of which use the same housing, might fit. I seem to remember that I once had a 3.5-10x on a Finnbear, but I can't remember for sure and that rifle now has a different scope on it.

Another option would be to get an extended front ring for your Redfield setup. Install it with the extension facing the rear and you'll be able to install a shorter scope. Extension rings are inexpensive and readily available - you should not have any trouble finding one to match the height of your existing rings.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your Redfield bases are early production.

Current Redfield bases use a front base that locates the ring about 0.5" rearward.....compared to your older base.

I put a Leupold 3.5-10xAO on a Sako 25-06, using them.

Hope this helps.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You can use your same bases but replace the rings with a set with an extension front ring. This ring will offset about 3/4 inch to the rear which should allow you to mount nearly any scope.

10. Jim Curlee

Jim Curlee Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks for all of the help.
    Jim

11. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here is what an extension front ring for Redfield turn-in bases looks like. This one happens to be from Leupold, but Redfield, Burris, Leupold, and Millett all make rings for turn-in bases. The ring can be turned to extend either forward or backward, so you'll want to turn it backward.

DSC01972.JPG

12. cwmech

cwmech Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming

13. cwmech

cwmech Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Jim,
    Sorry, comin' in late to this...
    I posted pic's showing my L579 22-250 and AIII 300 Win mag, responding in a thread on June 2010. I had the opposite problem -- I needed what you have on your long action, for my medium action, as the front ring was about 1/16" in front of the turret housing, on my 6-24 Burris. Solution was to search e-bay for vintage bases like your's, for the 22-250.
    What you'd need for your long action was current at that time, "ATK" (Weaver/Redfield) bases, that's what is shown on my AIII 300 Win, it has those with Leupy super low rings and a Burris Fullfield II 3-9.
    Hope this helps,

Woody