Sako 264 26” barrel

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Travis Slycord, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Travis Slycord

Travis Slycord Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to Sako. I’ve come across a 26 inch barrel 264. Thinking of purchasing it, but myself or the seller are real sure of the value. I want to be fair to myself of course, but also to seller. Could anyone give any advice. All would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The caliber & barrel length will add value over the more common chamberings & standard barrel length. Yours appears to have had some honest hunting/shooting wear & is likely more a "shooters" rifle than a "collectors" rifle. Check the gun sale/auction sites for actual sold prices (not asking prices) of L61Rs from that era in comparable condition to get an idea of value. Add a little premium (maybe 10-15%) for the 264 cal with a long barrel. Very hard to place a value based on a few pics. Condition, location, circumstances, etc. all play a part. Good Luck!!

Travis Slycord likes this.
  3. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Travis. In my humble opinion, for what its worth, which isn't much. I have two of the same family. Both with very close serial numbers, one higher, one lower. As Paulson stated they are rather rare, but depending on condition the price can only be established by a satisfactory agreement between the buyer and the seller. My suggestion is this. Buy it, shoot it if the condition warrants and enjoy one of the most enjoyable calibers available. Don't even consider the value unless you do not intend to keep it. A friend of mine has one of the same that he has put over 1K rounds thru and the barrel is still in good enough condition to consistently place dime sized groups at 200 yards. Hand loaded of course. Sakojim.

Travis Slycord likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Like Paulson says, it is not possible to place a firm value on a rifle with only a few photos. However, compared to an L61R of similar age and condition in a common caliber with a 24.4" barrel, I'd add 15% for the caliber plus another 15% for the barrel length. This assumes it is in good "shooter" condition, but not in "collector" condition. If everything were original (sling swivels, good pad, sight hood, etc.) then if it were in "collector" condition it might be worth a somewhat higher premium.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Stone is probably a better judge of what premium a 264 with a 26" barrel would command than I am. Wouldn't surprise me if it would bring that much more under the right scenario.