Short Actions Sako 222 Remington Help With Date Made

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Krazyntx, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Krazyntx

Krazyntx Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have a Sako in 222 Remington with no model number and I know that some people refer to these as being a "Riihimaki" model including places such as Cabela's simply because that name appears on the receiver next to Sako. However, I know that is a location name in Finland and not a model. I'm trying to determine what the model number is and also an approximate date of manufacture. I believe that it is an early Model L46 as it has a 4-digit serial number of 7XXX.

I would post a photo of the left side of the receiver but cannot figure out how to do that with the posting tool asking for an Image URL.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You are correct that it is an L46 and it is fairly early. However, the exact date of its manufacture cannot be inferred from the serial number since Sako mysteriously did not use serial numbers in chronological order. You can get the exact date of manufacture for a small fee (and information on when and to what outlet it was originally shipped if you wish) by using the Club's "Factory Records Service". Click on that link at the top of this page to order.

Krazyntx likes this.