M78 Safety button stuck forward - FIRE position..!

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by Brittman, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Brittman

Brittman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Gentlemen,

I'm trying to buy a NIB (?) Sako M78 in .22LR caliber. The safety tab is now in the forward or FIRE position and I cannot move it to the rear SAFE position. The trigger pull is VERY light..! Does the trigger pull weight need to be moved higher so the safety works as it should on this rifle? Or may it be congealed grease due to sitting around in it's box since 1978...? The rifle appears unfired and in mint condition.

I have no trouble taking the action out of the stock. Is there anything I should look for then - or is a photo of the action available somewhere? Is the trigger pull weight nut in front of the trigger assy. or....?

Thank you all for reading this and any help would be appreciated! (This M78 would join a P72 and a P94S now.)

Sincerely,
    Wes

Member: NRA Life Benefactor - VFW Life - Vietnam Veterans of America Life - ISRA - PF - QF - SAF - HP&RC

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If the rifle is uncocked the safety button won't slide back & forth. If that's not it, then take it to a gunsmith.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There were three different triggers used on the P72/M78 series, so hardly anyone has enough experience to advise you remotely. Paulson's suggestion that you take it to a gunsmith is appropriate.

Were I you, I'd use the defective trigger/safety as a lever to get the price down. After all, it's going to cost something to get a gunsmith to (presumably) fix it.

4. Brittman

Brittman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Thank you fellows - I appreciate reading your answers! I will get on w/ it and check out the inside of the stock and trigger housing.

Wes