S 491 immaculate condition

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Dan Sturgis, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Dan Sturgis

Dan Sturgis Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Hi
    I'm helping my mother sell my deceased father's collection and I'm down to his favorite; this Seko S 491. It has a custom stock and it's in immaculate condition. I know that there are many variables in determining price, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on a price range and also on buyers in the Front Range of Colorado. Of course I can provide more pictures or detail shots if that helps. Sakowide.jpg Sakomodel.jpg

sraaw likes this.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hi Dan,

This is a very difficult of question to answer. Placing value on a full custom would be irresponsible without a more detailed inventory/description of the build. In other words, rifle builder/stock maker, barrel maker, caliber, and all other components used. Please don’t take my words the wrong way, it’s obviously well executed beautiful rifle, I’m sure many hours and dollars were invested to build this one of a kind. The fact it’s placed in a fitted hard case also says a lot about the way it’s been kept.

Price or value is always going to be based what someone is willing to pay. It’s tough because most customs, but not all, don’t realize in resale, the dollars invested. It’s unfortunate, but mostly true.

Perhaps a little more information and additional photos might help me, as well as others here on the forum. I’m quite sure others have looked at your posting with the same thought. Thanks.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sean is correct when saying custom rifles never bring what is invested to make them. The pool of buyers for custom guns is very small, as well. It's value will be dictated by what a particular buyer will be willing to pay & what they are willing to pay will be based on if he likes the wood, the caliber, the barrel contour, etc. The 91 series Sakos were only made for about 4 years (1992 to 1996) & don't have the interest or following like the earlier models. Your's being the action only makes it of even lesser interest to a Sako enthusiast. The custom case has a value even without the rifle, as it appears to be very nicely done. If it were mine, I would place it on one of the gun auction sites with a minimum bid that is your lowest acceptable price & see what happens. You can always adjust your price based on the response. I think you will benefit by removing the scope & selling it, as well as the case, separately, but that's just my personal feeling. Good luck!!

4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Any info you can supply will help with the value. If it was built by a well know builder it can make it more desirable, an unknown builder would mean less. I see there seems to be some kind of tag in the case, what does that engraving say if anything? No floor plate and swivel studs could mean it is a single shot bench rest gun.
    caliber and twist rate
    barrel length and maker
    trigger brand and pull weight
    stock maker
    complete rifle builder
    case builder

Sad to say today but if the chambering does not say Creedmore or Nosler a lot of people won't give it a second look.

5. Dan Sturgis

Dan Sturgis Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thanks so much! I don't take your words the wrong way at all. This was my dad's custom built rifle (by him) and unfortunately I didn't get ask him all the questions I wanted to before his somewhat sudden death. Yes, the case was hand built by him as well specifically for that rifle and that's where it was stored.

6. Dan Sturgis

Dan Sturgis Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Thanks for your help! I'll see what I can discern from the rifle with closer examination. It is a single shot bench rest target rifle. The engraving says "Handmade by Don Sturgeleski". Nop,e not famous maker, just my dad. Not sure if he meant the tag to refer to the rifle or the case (he made that too). Like most woodworkers he spent too much time on his projects for them to ever be worth any money to sell.

7. Dan Sturgis

Dan Sturgis Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    I appreciate your help and suggestions. The case was handmade for the rifle so it would be nice to keep them together. If you have any suggestions for a site where this type of item might find a happy home, you wouldn't be insulting me if you named them. My expertise is ski mountaineering and fishing and my dad was the rifle expert.

8. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    "PRICELESS' to you then
    What caliber did he choose who's barrel is it?

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Gun Broker, Guns America & Guns International are three of several on line gun sale sites you may want to look into or find a local shop or gunsmith that already has an on line account with one of the auction sites & consign it to them. You can also list it here, as it could garner interest with our members as well. Another thought is to take it to a gun show in your area & try to peddle it there. Lots of dealers at gun shows so expect to get wholesale not retail offers.

10. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    First off, very sorry for your loss.

Paulson’s suggestions are most definitely good direction to find potential buyers for the rifle.

Another thought would be to connect with some of the people he may have shot with, or perhaps the club he belonged to, if that exists. Maybe some type of “for sale” bulletin board or club website exists.

If others knew of this rifle within his circle maybe someone would love to own it. Friends, or friends of friends could be another avenue. As good as it appears to be, you may be able to offer a test shoot locally, if that’d be remotely convenient.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. Dan Sturgis

Dan Sturgis Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Great advice. Not many relatives left unfortunately, but his gun club could be a good option.