Short Actions Round top scope base

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by dfehrenb, Jan 26, 2020.

1. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Asking for a friend
    Who makes a “steel” scope base for the L461 round top action. He has an ultra wild cat and has need for a steel base.
    Thanks

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    REDFIELD 511145 JR BH SCOPE MOUNT BASE BROWNING SAKO .222 .222 MAGNUM

This base fits the L461 round top receiver. You can find it on Ebay from time to time.

rick

susanna and FLT like this.
  3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Rick states, Redfield base 511145 (code BH) will fit the Browning round top L461 receiver assuming the 2 front screw holes are spaced 0.748 " apart. However, Browning produced their L461 with two different spacing for the 2 screw holes in the front receiver ring. The other hole spacing browning used on the L461 round top receiver is 0.860". If your friends rifle has the 0.860" spacing for the front screws, you will need Redfield base 511130 (code BS). Both bases pop up on ebay. Browning also made the bases, but they very seldom come available. The Browning bases are model 1678 or 8817 for the 0.748" spacing. For the 0.860" spacing the Browning bases are model 1673 or 8317.

susanna and FLT like this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Whoa there podners!

The Browning round top actions have the rear bridge milled down lower than the front ring, much like a Mauser 98. Thus, the rear portion of the mount has to be thicker than the front portion in order for the mount to sit level. On the other hand, as best I recall (and my H&R Ultrawildcat is with a friend right now, so I can't check it to make sure) both the rear bridge and the front receiver ring are of the same height on the H&R roundtop actions.

I can't tell you the proper part numbers, but it typically isn't difficult to find Weaver-style bases that will fit. Of course, the original Weaver bases aren't steel, but Burris makes some nice steel cross-loc rings for Weaver bases, which is what I would recommend. Redfield does (or did) make a one-piece base for the Ultrawildcat, which is actually what I have on my Ultrawildcat, but if you want to use very low rings on it the turret housing on most scopes will hit the center of the base.

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Redfield actually offered a steel bridge-mount specifically labeled for the H&R 317 rifle. I might have one.........somewhere.

As has been mentioned, EXACT hole spacing, and receiver height, need to be confirmed on these old round-top actions.

I cannot believe that Stone has failed to mention one of his favorite steel mounts/rings........Conetrol!!:):) Visit their website for nice 2-piece bases.........then I can convey the "secret" to mounting the rings(that do not require the use of Stone's front-end loader:)!!)

Hope this helps.....

susanna likes this.
  6. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hold on guys...…

The correct Redfield mount for the H&R 317 and the Sako L461 Round Top receivers is the Redfield JR-317 part number 511145. This one piece mount also fits some of the Browning receivers.

Redfield also made one for Sako receivers part number 511134 but that is for receivers that are slightly longer than the L461 in calibers like the .243.

rick

7. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I assumed the specs for the height of the front and rear ring and the spacing of the screw holes for bases on the Sako L461 receiver used by Browning on their 222's would be the same as the L461 used on the ultra wild cat. A mistake on my part. But I do use the one piece Redfield base number 511145 and 511130 on my 222 Browning Sakos because they're easier to find than Browning one piece base numbers 1673 and 8317 for the 0.860" screw spacing, and numbers 1678 and 8817 for the 0.748" screw spacing. It would be a lot less confusing if Browning would not have decided to tap the receivers on the L461 in two different locations. At least they were consistent with the offset height of the front and rear receiver rings.
    Redfield and Browning bases.JPG

susanna, FLT and ricksengines like this.
  8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Rick, I don't think it will fit any of the Browning receivers unless some were made with the front and rear action rings the same height.

If kevinlg does have one in his inventory that he's willing to let go then dfehrenb's friend should jump on it since I doubt that Redfield (or anyone else) has made that mount base in the last 25 years.

BTW, kevin, the Conetrol mount is the only thing of its size I've ever run across that requires both a front loader and a set of watchmaker's tools to install. Having command of a good set of four-lettered Anglo-Saxonisms deployed often and loudly is essential to successfully mounting Conetrols.

susanna, FLT, sraaw and 1 other person like this.
  9. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    He found bases. They are Leupold #50234. He said perfect fit. I believe those are bases where the front ring turns in and the rear is windage adjustable.
    Thanks for all the advice, guys.

susanna likes this.
  10. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Leupold #50234 are listed for the Cooper Mod. 22, matte blued finish.

Nice......who'da thunk it?! Wonder if available in standard blued finish?

edit: But......on second thought......since the Cooper M22 is a "medium" size action......I'd double check the base radius-of-curvature against that of the round-top L461.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    susanna likes this.
  11. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I've just come into a windfall of Redfield JR 317 part number 511148 scope mounts. If you need one for an L461 round top receiver start a conversation with me and we can talk. Please no hoarders you have to have a legit need and provide pics before I'll part with one.

rick

12. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Got to love those windfalls.

13. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Absolutely untrue. You can easily do the job with a cyclotron and a quantum inverter. Or Dr. Who's sonic screwdriver.

14. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    he said these are cross re
    He said they are listed as you say, for the Cooper but also apparently cross referenced to his H&R 317. Not sure if he got matte or gloss. He has the scope mounted and has shot the gun and sighted it in. Says it’s a tack driver.