Rifle scope for AV under 400$ ?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by odesit86, Jul 28, 2020.

1. odesit86

odesit86 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    hi..guys
    I bought a Sako AV 30-06 ..but i need a scope for this rifle..
    What is the good scope under 400$
    I am going to use for deer hunting .. and does it matters what caliber for scope ? I mean some say one scope is going be better for one caliber , while other scope is good for large caliber ?
    Any advice ? Leopold , Bushnell, Vortex or other brands ..

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Leupold or Redfield 4X is all you'll ever need.

If you can't shoot it or kill it with a '06 and 4X you need to get closer or practice a lot more.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    There are many options for $400 or less. Unarguably a 4x will do the job In most circumstances. But as an overall do all hunting rifle and caliber you might consider something in the order of a Leupold 2.5-8x32 in a Vari X III, or similar.

They are very tough and can be had for $300ish on eBay or other sites. Or $399 or less for a new VX-3I . .30-06 is very versatile so having an equally versatile rifle scope covers several hunting scenarios, from 30yds in heavy cover, to 350yds on an open hillside.

This is one of those topics in which magazine articles are written, as there are tons of options and opinions Much like rifle calibers in the same manner. I’d suggest giving thought about your needs and hunting style and the different places and terrain you may hunt.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    To get the most for your money in a good quality hunting scope there are three brands that come to mind, but all of them are spelled L-E-U-P-O-L-D. Here is what to look for in a hunting scope for a .30-06:

1. Keep your power range low enough that it can be used in close conditions. No more than 3X at the bottom end for a variable.
    2. Keep your size small enough that the scope can be mounted low so that your eye aligns naturally with the sight picture. This means an objective no larger than 40mm.
    3. Being weatherproof is essential.

Leupold's most economical line (whether that is VX-I or "Freedom" or whatever) provides about 98% of the performance of their very most expensive scopes, and you can get a brand new one for around $200. Add a quality set of rings and you still have enough left over from your four bills to buy all the ammunition you'll ever need for deer hunting.

5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Couldn't agree more. Leupold scope and rings. Don't go the Optilock route, too big, heavy and expensive. I have to add also that if you can find an older VX2 in 2 - 7 x33 and get a set of Leupold low rings for your 06 that would make a great set up.

Charles Witt, sakolou and Sean Hodges like this.
  6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I agree about Leupold scopes; I have many of them mounted on rifles myself. However, in terms of value for money I would suggest having a look at Burris. Optical quality and ruggedness are in the same class as Leupold, most of them are made in USA (some lower-priced recent models come from the Philippines or China, which is also the case with Leupold), and Burris has a similar lifetime warranty. Drawbacks are minor. Some Burris scopes may be a bit fussier about eye relief (especially the compacts), and some have the turrets set forward, complicating mounting on certain rifles. The turret location won't be an issue on an AV, but avoid the compacts - they are too short for the action. New Burris scopes usually cost a bit less than Leupold, and you can find some real bargains on the used market. I have a 2-7x Burris on my Ruger No. 1; I got it at a gun show a few months ago, in near-mint condition, for under $100! It's a great scope and perfect for deer. I'd take a used Burris against ANY brand-new Chinese import (almost every budget-priced scope on the market is made in China).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. RangerAV

RangerAV Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    I use Leupold for almost everything.

Which magnification depends on critter and surroundings. Not cartridge, per se... although cartridge selection is often best matched to criteria too. Large-ish critter (target size) and/or big woods, low magnification, usually a 1.5-5x. Tiny critter and/or open plains, higher magnification, usually either a 2.5-8x or a 3.5-10x. Latter is getting on toward unnecessary for deer.

Always carry at lowest power setting; it's easy enough to change UP if you need more for a distant target, not very quick to change DOWN for a snap shot.

-Chris

sakolou and 16b410 like this.
  8. sakolou

sakolou Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    11D2BD05-E78D-4A8B-93BA-BF0CE90A11F3.jpeg 79827ECD-CAA8-4CB3-B28A-6F760A56F453.jpeg E39C10D1-2DCC-4ADB-AA38-1F16F276AC0E.jpeg FWIW, I exclusively use Leupold scopes from VX1 to VX6 and now a VX Freedom that came on a rifle I picked up a month ago.

I don’t know much about the inner workings, but to my eye the new Freedom scopes are as bright and clear as my trusty VX IIIs and VX3s. The new turrets are a wonderful upgrade, sure beats the old friction adjustments that required using a quarter. I removed it from the rifle it came on and mounted it on the AV I picked up this weekend using Leupold rings, which I use on all my Sakos, except my 375 that has Talleys. My only complaint about Leupold rings is they don’t grip/tighten down on the narrow end of the dovetail nearer the ejection port, making it necessary for a long-tubed scope on the long action Sakos. However, they are much smaller, lighter and cleaner looking than the optilocks or original rings and don’t mar the dovetails like Redfield or similar mounts.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    16b410 likes this.
  9. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I'm with you, Retired. Leupold for me. They represent value, otherwise known as bang-for-the-buck. That is why I have 37 of them in a myriad of models. The last one I bought was a 3-9 Freedom for 200.00. This was for a rifle I like to shoot, but will likely never hunt with. The scope is awesome and could serve as a very adequate hunting scope.