Rifle cleaning stand

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stephen novick, Dec 3, 2021.

1. stephen novick

stephen novick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Anyone on the forum make Rifle cleaning stands (homemade) ?

2. tilleyman

tilleyman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
  3. stephen novick

stephen novick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Yes they seem to be the go too. People who have them love them

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I have the "Tipton Best Gun Vise" version, which I like a lot. Previously I used a handmade wooden one I got from a guy in Roanoke, VA who used to sell them at gun shows. It's an elegant item, nicely finished and padded with leather, but the Tipton is more practical. It has lots of adjustments to fit different configurations, and you can get accessories for the AR-15, like a stand that locks into the mag well. The "Best" vise is a step up from the base model and definitely worth the difference. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent photo of it, but you can see it on Midway's site, which is where I got mine. Midway frequently runs promo deals on the Tipton vises; when I got mine they threw in a set of Outers screwdriver handle and bits for free. The one drawback to the Tipton is that it's made from vacuformed plastic and it's kind of bendy. You can see it flex when you crank down the buttstock clamps. Unlikely to break if you treat it right, but still a bit un-nerving.

I clamp my vise in a Black & Decker Workmate. You put dogs in at the four corners to clamp the vise, set the vise on the Workmate between the dogs, then tighten the screws. Works great to hold the vise and the rifle in place while you clean or work on it.

Here's the wooden stand. There's a clamping lever on the other side to secure the buttstock. I've had this one for 20 years and it's still good to go. I'd sell it, but the shipping cost would be absurd.

Tikka 222-1.JPG

stephen novick likes this.
  5. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Longtime Tipton owner here,
    Versatile and robust enough for my bolt gun and shotgun needs.
    No complaints.

stephen novick likes this.