Rifle build

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Al W., Apr 3, 2020.

1. Al W.

Al W. Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Hey all, a few years ago I inherited a rifle stock of an incomplete finnbear deluxe, which I think is a .270. it was my dad's gun and I don't know if he had plans to build it but I'd like for the gun to be complete. Right now it is just the furniture, nothing else. Does anybody know a supplier I can get in contact with to find a complete bolt/barrel assembly or at least the necessary parts to complete it? Thanks. 15858832357267314272753386064340.jpg 15858832878527900997143876167971.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a factory stock for a Sako Deluxe. Someone probably removed it from their rifle and put a less fancy stock in its place for hunting. How it was separated from its original rifle and ended up in your father's hands will have to remain unknown, but it is not uncommon for this to happen.

The "proper" barreled action for it would be a Deluxe, which will have an engraved floorplate and a high-luster blue finish. But, if you are correct that the original caliber was .270 then any Sako L61R or A-III barreled action in any caliber will fit it. It would have to be slightly modified for an A-V action.

Barreled actions come along occasionally, but are long since out of production so your only choice is to watch ads on the various sites like Gunbroker for a used one. Your other choice is to buy a complete rifle with nice metal but a well-used or even broken stock and replace its stock with this one.

3. Al W.

Al W. Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    He had other guns, so he probably did it himself. I didn't even think about that. The guns are currently in a family members possession due to my mother not wanting them in the house at the time of his parting. They will eventually fall into my hands again. Thank you for the info. Is it possible that I can contract sako or berreta and they can supply me with parts or help me find them? If not I'll look on gun broker.

4. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Unfortunately Sako won't be of any assistance in obtaining parts for guns of this age, and I can assure you Beretta will be of less help than Sako. Unfortunately Stonecreeks advice remains your best option to get it back together.

susanna likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That stock should fit any L61R or AIII barreled action in a normal long-action caliber such as .30-06, .270, .25-06, etc. An AV action has a longer tang and would require fitting. A magnum caliber might also require some fitting around the magazine box - I'm not sure of that one. It will not fit the L579/AII action for .243/.308 class cartridges, as that is a smaller action.

The Deluxe rifles featured high polish bluing and some gold-filled engraving on the trigger guard and floorplate. A Deluxe would obviously be the correct match for your stock, but a standard grade barreled action would fit. Your best bet might be to find a suitable rifle with a broken or beat-up stock at a favorable price. Sometimes you can also get a good deal on a gun with a botched custom stock, or one that has been cut down for a smaller shooter. Gun shows, auctions, and out of the way gun shops are your friends.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The barrel contour changed several times during the L61R/AIII production period so "any" L61R/AIII barreled action may not fit. Look thru the rest of your Dad's guns as the barreled action for this stock may be in another stock as stonecreek mentioned.

Al W. likes this.
  7. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Good point.

8. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    As said, look through his other rifles and look for an engraved floorplate and trigger guard. Will be easy to spot. If you can not find a barreled action to complete your set up, that stock being a Deluxe is worth several dollars so don't let someone just talk you out of it.

Al W. likes this.
  9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Hello Al W. I just sent you a PM.