Richards Mocrofit on A-V action bedding

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Tony Calandra, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    "bucktote" Hi fellows, I am going to re stock a Sako A-V 30/06 rifle with a Richards Microfit Exihibition grade stock to leave for my grand children ( i,m 82) Should I two point bed & float the barrel ? Does anyone have experience doing this ? Any advice will be welcome.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Why not just leave them a genuine, original Sako? They will get more money for it when they auction it off & your bank account will have more money in it as well.

3. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Tony, by two-point bedding, do you mean glass at (1) the receiver-ring area and (2) the tang? That would probably be OK, but, if it were mine, I'd glass the whole action area--one piece running from the front of the receiver-ring all the way back to the tang. But, in addition, I'd probably go further and pillar bed the action, with pillars at the front and rear action screw holes. This would do a better job of making the rifle less susceptible to weather/humidity changes. And, yes, free-float the barrel. That will further guard against weather/humidity changes causing warpage and thus altering the point of impact via pressure against the barrel.

It's interesting that, as far as I know, all new Sako 85s have the barrel free-floated; my Deluxe 85 certainly does (and, along with that, the Sako guarantee of a 5-shot <MOA group at 100 meters shot at the factory). That is the established formula for best accuracy as evidenced by all benchrest rifles. However, for aesthetic reasons, don't hog out more than needed of the barrel channel. Work on it gradually until you can get perhaps two sheets of 20 lb. printer paper (about .008"), and no more, to pass from the front of the receiver ring out past the forend tip and then seal the barrel channel well with something like Tru-Oil.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia

5. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks South Pender. In the past I have used Minwax eurathene matt spray to seal the action internal area wood. My favorate finish was clear coat used on autos. Reason being it can be applied several coats in one day and the final polish is with a liquid 3M rubbing compound. The only drawback is it is hard to come by in small quantities and the shelf life is short.

6. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Don't know how to deal with that senario Hawkeye, guess i'll need some smart contractor to help me figure that out. Afterall they will have both stocks to sell!!

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Bottom line is the "extra" stock won't bring much of anything & Grampa's bank account will be lighter. So what's the point? Money in the bank or a stock that ain't worth Jack? Tell me, would you bid up a Sako with an aftermarket stock?? Would you fight at an auction for an aftermarket stock when the original Sako in it's original stock was sitting in front of you?? You must have missed the common sense class, as well as the math class when you were a youngster. Read the original post. It says "Any advice will be welcome"! That's all I did! You are more than welcome to add your two cents, as well, without ridiculing others.

8. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Tony, I can completely understand your desire to create something special to leave to your grandchildren. And a custom rifle, built on an excellent action like the Sako AV and stocked by you with exhibition-grade wood would be just that--very special (and, I might add, would show "common sense" despite claims to the contrary ;)). The eventual selling price, should it come to that, is not the point. Creating something special is, and such a rifle is certainly more special than any original Sako. I realize that you weren't asking whether you should do this, but instead how best to get the job done!

I'm a huge fan of custom rifles and have owned many, and I understand fully the satisfaction that attaches to a unique and beautiful project. Can you ask Richards Microfit to see some blanks before ordering a semi-inlet? With their exhibition grade wood, you could have really super English walnut (that would be my choice) or Claro walnut, which can be spectacular. The English is generally a little costlier, but, if they'll show you some blanks, you will be able to choose one that you like best. Your plan of glass-bedding the action is wise (and, as I noted above, could ideally involve pillars). If the finishing of the barrel channel and action area is done with great care, the glass will not be visible. If you haven't glass-bedded a rifle before, I might be inclined to have a professional do that part of the job. That still leaves you with a lot of the finishing to do.

If you want to go all out on this project, I would suggest finding a 'smith that could provide a cold rust blue finish on the metalwork (rather than the more-usual hot blue). That's the metal finish found on the best custom guns.

In any case, best of luck with your project, and please send some pictures to the forum as you proceed!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Unclekax and northernlights like this.
  9. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Dear Paulson construction,
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings, The reason for the aftermarket stock was to have an item Gramps made to keep the memories we shared while hunting our farm. At this time of life a few dollars don't seem to matter that much.

northernlights likes this.
  10. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia

11. Tony Calandra

Tony Calandra Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi South Pender,
    Just a note, thanks for the encouragement, I took the Sako stock off and I see where the cross bolt is for recoil midigation as well as to resist stock cracking with heavy loads. I was suprised to see that the recoil lug was small & similar to Mauser & Interarms Mark X. Hawkeye was right by saying that an aftermarket stock will be expensive. The 96% inletting claim as a bit far fectched. I do have my work cut out, But Deer season ends this Sat. I'll bet it will take a few months to get the job done. Got our Covid -19 first shot today, no hurt at all. Keep,well My nickname = bucktote
    I invented a carrier for Deer transport for use with a 4 wheeler.