Sako Replacement Stock and Repair

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by azjohn, Dec 14, 2019.

1. azjohn

azjohn Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This is my first post. I have only one Sako that I bought in 1979. It is an AIII Finnbear in 270 with a sporter high stock. That what it has on the hang tag. Earlier this month while deer hunting I fell and scratched and gouged the stock. My question will a stock for a L61R work as a emplacement? I was looking at stocks from Boyd's . Would like your opinions on their stocks if anyone has used them. Thanks John 20191205_174823 (1).jpg

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    That’s too bad , but you could use an L61 stock or a Boyd’s. Boyd’s are serviceable decent quality stocks, but not much for character. As a laminated product you do get a little more in the way of weather durability and if it get scratched or dinged it’s not that big of deal.

In my opinion your unfortunate damage is very repairable. A qualified stock person or wood worker would be able to repair the damage and you’d never know it happened. Good luck, hop this helps.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What he said. I've fixed worse scrapes than that. No need to spend the money for a new stock unless you wanted a laminated stock anyway.

6x47l likes this.
  4. BridgerHollow

BridgerHollow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    azjohn, did you end up replacing your stock? If so, would you be interested in selling your old (damaged) stock?