• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Replacement Stock and Repair

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

azjohn

This is my first post. I have only one Sako that I bought in 1979. It is an AIII Finnbear in 270 with a sporter high stock. That what it has on the hang tag. Earlier this month while deer hunting I fell and scratched and gouged the stock. My question will a stock for a L61R work as a emplacement? I was looking at stocks from Boyd's . Would like your opinions on their stocks if anyone has used them. Thanks John 20191205_174823 (1).jpg

This is my first post. I have only one Sako that I bought in 1979. It is an AIII Finnbear in 270 with a sporter high stock. That what it has on the hang tag. Earlier this month while deer hunting I fell and scratched and gouged the stock. My question will a stock for a L61R work as a emplacement? I was looking at stocks from Boyd's . Would like your opinions on their stocks if anyone has used them. Thanks John View attachment 17450
That’s too bad , but you could use an L61 stock or a Boyd’s. Boyd’s are serviceable decent quality stocks, but not much for character. As a laminated product you do get a little more in the way of weather durability and if it get scratched or dinged it’s not that big of deal.

In my opinion your unfortunate damage is very repairable. A qualified stock person or wood worker would be able to repair the damage and you’d never know it happened. Good luck, hop this helps.

Arizona- There are qualified folks on here that don't see a big deal making your stock look good again. Even I have done some of those. Doesn't look like much wood loss, just smashed in. A little steaming and sanding and a refinish and you have "YOUR' rifle back. Should cost less than a Boyds or a quality Composite.

Good advice all around, if your using it for hunting and shooting you now have character. I have repaired some dents and scrapes like that. The original polyurethane finish is a good finish and very protective. However the original coating is very hard to find or may not be around at all. You may try to remove some around the edges of the scrapes and steam the wood with an old iron if you have one. I've used this method on some old Garands, and it worked well. It may take a couple of treatments to raise the wood grain. Once you do this you need to sand a little and then blend the coats of poly/spar varnish material. This application may take several coats and sanding with steel wool or fine grit sandpaper (wet paper) to get your desired texture and look. You may even have to use a wood filler it the gouges are too deep. If you have to match the stain for the area of the deepest scrapes you may want to use a comparable walnut stain like Birchwood Casey's True Oil Stain. You can actually cut the stain if it appears too dark as well. I would be more concerned about any cracks and check out the inside of the stock. There are some products out there to match the poly coat, but you may have to look for those products not so readily available in some States. The Garand websites have a good step by step process for steaming the stocks. I hope this helps your decision.

HBHUNTER

Latest posts

Back