• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Replacement or repair of Finnwolf stock?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Yosemite

Hi,

I have been reading some of the posts with interest, and recently joined up. I have had a Finnwolf in 308 for some time, have had no issues with it and just love it!

In the last couple weeks, I bought another in 243 on Gunbroker. Unfortunately, it arrived a couple days ago and thanks to the gorillas at UPS the stock is broken. I have seen stocks available on the auction sites over the last year, but there are none listed at the moment.

So, does anybody have a suggestion regarding where I might find a replacement stock?

Has anyone had luck repairing broken stocks? If so how or who has completed the work?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice and assistance,

Sam DSC02221.JPG

Sam - As you say from time to time there have been stocks but not real often. I feel your pain I had 2 different Finnwolf stocks broken by UPS about 1 year apart and just like your's they were broken at the wrist. A KIND member on this site sold me a one when my first gun arrived broken. I got lucky with the second one and just happened to be at a tiny gun show in northern PA and found one, From then forward I contact sellers of any firearm I am looking to bid on and ask if they will consider FEDEX or USPS instead for shipping. If not I pay extra for a hard sided case. So I have a few cases sitting around.
I did contact several smiths about repair of my wolf stocks and most said they would not recommend it but I did find one Gentleman that has videos out on the web of his carving and checkering, and does excellent work who said he could repair them. I sent him pictures of my stock to get an idea of cost and he said it be somewhere around $400 apiece - here is his email address [email protected] . If I wouldn't have gotten lucky I was going to try him. If you decide to let us know how it turns out. GOOD LUCK !!!

Attachments

• Small.jpg
    Small.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Small 2.jpg
    Small 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
Sam- I have done a few Finnwolf stocks and had good luck with them. I would be happy to repair yours for $200 if you will pay for shipping costs. I also have a replacement stock that I would sell for 500 plus shipping. Use the PM system if I can help you.-Misako

UPS seems, anecdotally, to be somewhat worse about breaking stocks than either the Post Office or Fedex. And while the inexpensive plastic hard cases look helpful, I've seen UPS fracture a stock which was inside such a plastic hard case just as effectively as if it had been wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper.

Since your stock is not (apparently) split at the tang, repairing it (functionally, not cosmetically) is pretty simple. A "pro" would probably drill a hole from the grip through the broken area, insert a screw or pin and glue it into place with epoxy. It would be stronger than the original wood. Cosmetics wouldn't be bad with this simple repair, but if you want it there are guys who can recut and refinish the checkering so that it takes a magnifying glass to see where the crack was.

What a shame, Don't see how they could be so careless. On the other hand I did see a FedEx truck turned over yesterday. That one had what looked like prescription medicine scattered all over the road. Hope you find a nice stock to get back in business. Jim

If it was insured I'd consider getting a custom one made and chip in a bit extra for a schmick bit of timber for the stock maker to work their magic with.

Talking about Sako stocks - I have an early 1960's L579 Sporter stock for sale. No cracks, dents or dings. The down side is no butt - plate, but does have grip cap with white line spacer. The stock has not been shortened! There is no finish, but the chequering is all there. Don't no what It's worth. I only know that originally the stock was off of a .243 Win. L579. I never owned the rifle, which was re - stocked by a gun maker friend of mine, who gave me the stock.

Blackjack

Welcome to the forum. That really sucks. Good advice from the guys above and hopefully you can get it back up and shooting again soon.
At one stage wasn't someone also making a fibreglass stock for the finnwolf? Not my cup of tea but might give you another option.

Cheers John

Those cheap hard cases are okay for cheap guns, but something like this deserves at least the one-grade-up hard case for shipment. Still under twenty dollars. I'd never ship a nice Sako in anything less.

Thanks for all the information and advice. It was insured by the seller, but we are still working through the UPS claims process (more gorillas and thugs). I plan to bring her back to as close to original as possible, although I did fine a place that has a replacement stock that can be fit to the Finnwolf.

I will post the link when I find it again.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back