Replacement Butt Pad for Bofors Marked L579

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Dart2116, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Dart2116

Dart2116 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I recently was given an Bofors Steal marked L579 in 308 from my uncle. It is the deluxe model. The butt pad is disintegrating. I looked on line and there is a company that will replace it with a reproduction one for over $250. This is a little steep for and I am more concerned in shootablity than resale value as I never plan to sell this rifle. Midwest Gun Works had a Pachmayr one that they recommended for this model but it was too big. It was the large one and was too large. Can anyone recommend a good replacement that will fit the rifle?

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So as not to screw up the value of this rifle may I suggest that you simply purchase a slip on boot with the recoil pad built in and just slip it over the butt end of the stock. This should provide the recoil buffering that you seek and at the same time preserve the value of the rifle.

rick

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Of course you could always buy one of the Sako replacements from Louie and have a gunsmith install it for you and it will look like it is supposed to...

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's common for the pads of that era to disintegrate over time. There is no real advantage, IMHO, to replacing it with the "Sako" look alike unless it is just more to your liking. I personally don't discount a Sako from that time period that has had the pad professionally replaced with a quality pad like the one you mention. In fact, I look at it as an expense I don't have to worry about if the pad has already been changed. None of the aftermarket pads are a "fit" right out of the box, but are a grind to fit procedure. The "size" of the pad is determined by an interior plate that must be smaller than your butt, while the outside of the pad is larger than your butt. I recommend you have a smith do the job, unless you have the proper belt sander, jig set up, experience & skill to grind & fit the pad. Not to mention it is tricky getting the old one off. Hate to see you mess up a nice Deluxe, as it is not an expensive task.

5. Dart2116

Dart2116 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Who is Louie I’m very new to this forum

6. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region: