Replace a Sako 85 barrel with a Tikka barrel?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Graywolf, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Graywolf

Graywolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have a Sako 85 .243 and I want to replace the barrel with a .308. Supposedly the Tikka T3 and 85 tenons are the same- 1-16, has anyone heard of simply screwing a T3 barrel on a Sako 85?

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    If you are getting a take-off barrel then the caliber marking will most likely not line up correctly. The thread is the same 1''-16 UN in this case. Without knowing the model of stock you have then it's hard to say about the barrel profile. There are couple that are the same and many that are not.

3. Graywolf

Graywolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    It’s the carbonlight. I believe the profile is the same as the Finnlight. If the T3 light barrel profile is a little larger I wouldn’t mind as long as the carbonlight stock channel can be opened up a little. Also I don’t care too much about the barrel engraving, the caliber marking could be re-engraved for safety reasons if necessary. The point of this is to re-purpose the 243 into a purely functional light elk hunting rifle. I thought if it were feasible it would be a cost effective way to add a very good Tikka (Sako) barrel to the carbonlight and sell or use the tikka receiver for another project. I really like the carbonlight stock, it’s amazingly light but stiff and comfortable to handle.

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    You are correct, the carbonlight profile is the same as finnlight and a T3 lite barrel is slightly thicker and will not fit the channel. I don't think it is a good idea to widen the barrel channel. The stock is composed of a carbon fiber sleeve over a foam core, so all of the structural strength comes from the outer shell. It might be better to have someone with a lathe with a taper attachment to turn down the lite barrel to fit.

Graywolf likes this.
  5. Graywolf

Graywolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Thanks, I didn’t know about the construction of the carbonlight stock, I don’t want to risk compromising its structural integrity. I’ll try to get some calipers on a T3 light barrel and measure it.

6. Graywolf

Graywolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    An update- I spun a 17” 6.5CM Tikka T3X lite barrel onto the carbonlight. Threads were the same, headspaced perfectly, barrel fit in the channel. Rifle shoots great.

Attached Files:

7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Great! Good to know it worked out. While back I tried to fit a carbonlight stock on my 85/S Hunter and the barrel was touching the barrel channel pretty badly. I think the width was fine, but it was touching on the bottom. Since 85 Hunter and T3 Lite profiles are the same, I thought you would have the same problem.

8. Graywolf

Graywolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I can slide a piece of paper under the barrel up to a couple inches in front of the breach, then it gets pretty tight. I think the original fluted barrel on the Carbonlight was pretty similar. The barrel diameters at the breach are identical, 1.12”, but the tikka lite barrel is a bit thicker at 17” than the carbonlight fluted barrel, .672 and .628, respectively.
    I believe that free floating the barrel is not so critical if the barrel channel is consistent and not flexing. The Tikka synthetic stocks contact the barrel a few inches from the action without apparent detriment to accuracy. It seems like the silicon-impregnated carbonlight stock would act like a good bedding surface, which may be why the accuracy with either barrel is excellent. Just speculating.