Reloading 7mm mag

Discussion in 'Handloads for all Sako models' started by HoosierHunter, Apr 17, 2018.

1. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I am looking for advice on reloading for a Finnbear 7mm mag. I have selected 160 AB using Reloader 23 with 9 1/2m primers. Need a recommendation on brass to use. Also neck size only or alternate neck and full length? I have been handloading for sometime although new to the magnum cartridges. Thanks

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Treat a belted cartridge the same way you would a regular rimless cartridge. If pressures are kept within reason then you can reload the same case several times with only neck sizing. As with any bottleneck case, even in a solid bolt rifle like a Sako, after a few loads with near-maximum pressures the case will need the shoulder bumped back just a bit to allow easy chambering.

I haven't used any RL-23, but it is the right burning rate for a 7mm RM and 160 grain bullet so you should be able to work up a good load with it.

I find little difference in any of the major brands of brass, despite reading disparaging comments on various brands regularly. The only brand which I've had poor experience with is Norma, which, although regarded as a premium brand, tends to have soft heads which expand more quickly than most other brands.

3. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
  4. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    I bought a load of Sako 264 Magnum ammo at an auction for a song.
    I pulled the bullets, saved them to use in my Swede and saved the powder to use in the 7mm Magnum.
    I then passed them through a full length 7mm Mag sizer die to convert them and away you go - brass - cheap as chips.

5. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I got out today with my first set of handloads. WOW is all I can say, this is my third Sako acquisition over the last year and they keep getting more accurate. The RL 23 really performed well running these 160 just shy of 3000 FPS and very accurate.

Attached Files:

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    That's a load to stick with!

I've had my best results with Remington brass in everything but my 308 - it likes Winchester. Brass certainly makes a difference - I've tried almost all, (including SAKO brass) - as stated I only use R-P except my 308.

I've NEVER gotten my rifle to shoot 175s accurately - I shoot 150 Noslers, for whatever it's worth.

7. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I settled on WW brass, Fed 210 mag primers and Nosler ballistic tips of various wts.-120 to 150gr. My rifle hasn't shown a powder preference. Fed Premium 160 gr partition is it's favorite factory Ammo. I really haven't shot a lot of heavier bullets.

8. Sakogun

Sakogun Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have never been able to get as many reloads out of WW brass from my sako 7mm rem mags, as compared to federal or remmington brass. Neck thinning and an eventual crack along the neck that is parallel to the case centerline is the consistent failure mode of the brass after multiple reloads.