• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Recent purchase / L461 .222 Rem Mag

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Stephen, would you share your experience using Renaissance Wax. I've never heard of it, but like how your 222 mag looks!

Yes of course, well worth the $$$$. I believe formulated and produced in England and used in the restoration / preservation of fine antiques. I purchased it on ebay and find it really helps to bring back the shine.

Regards,
Steve

The Z5, truly is the best all round scope you can get. The Z6 is a bit too big, although bench shooting prairie dogs doesn’t require a light rig. However, I have the Z6 BR on my 300 Weatherby as I got it before the Z5’s. Had I known about the Z5, I would have gone for it. I did have a Schmidt and Bender on the 300 before I got the Z6, and I don’t think I have any less scope with the Swarovski.

I may have overdid it with the Swarovski scopes though...
View attachment 17854

Pretty amazing collection, does me good to see so much lovely wood. I noticed you had what looks like the VX3 30 mil tube and 50mm objective...what are your thoughts on that optic? I own a 30mil tube 40mm objective VX3 but have been considering upgrading to the 50mm or the 3-15x44mm VX5HD. The Swaro turret looks really interesting and probably much less hassle when changing loads than the CDS. Do you find you have enough adjustment in the 1" tube for varmint ranges?

The 222 mag is perhaps, the most unknown and underrated varmint cartridge made. It will eclipse everything the 223 is known for and many aren’t aware of it’s inherent accuracy
I agree. The .222 Magnum had a lot of followers in the benchrest crowd in the 1960's. Remington offered it in their 40X series. These days I regard the .222 Magnum as my "big gun" when prairie dog hunting -- I only bring it out when the PD's have become skittish and only let you see them when more than 300 yards away. For anything inside 300-350 yards I prefer to use either a .221 Fireball or a .20 Vartarg. The little cases with their small charge of powder don't heat the barrel nearly as fast as larger rounds, therefore you can safely fire more shots in a string before needing to let the barrel cool.

Pretty amazing collection, does me good to see so much lovely wood. I noticed you had what looks like the VX3 30 mil tube and 50mm objective...what are your thoughts on that optic? I own a 30mil tube 40mm objective VX3 but have been considering upgrading to the 50mm or the 3-15x44mm VX5HD. The Swaro turret looks really interesting and probably much less hassle when changing loads than the CDS. Do you find you have enough adjustment in the 1" tube for varmint ranges?

I have had that Leupold scope for quite a few years and it is one of the last Leupolds I will replace. It does work, but as I have with all the other Leupold scopes, I will replace it with the Swarovski Z5.

Optically, the Swarovski is superior and overall lighter. The ballistic turret with zero stop is a great scope for all types of shooting, I don’t shoot 1000 yard matches, so the Swarovski has all the adjustment and the best optics of any scope I use...

Latest posts

Back