Recent purchase / L461 .222 Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Stephen Cea, Feb 2, 2020.

1. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Stephen, would you share your experience using Renaissance Wax. I've never heard of it, but like how your 222 mag looks!

2. Stephen Cea

Stephen Cea Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Yes of course, well worth the $$$$. I believe formulated and produced in England and used in the restoration / preservation of fine antiques. I purchased it on ebay and find it really helps to bring back the shine.

Regards,
    Steve

3. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Pretty amazing collection, does me good to see so much lovely wood. I noticed you had what looks like the VX3 30 mil tube and 50mm objective...what are your thoughts on that optic? I own a 30mil tube 40mm objective VX3 but have been considering upgrading to the 50mm or the 3-15x44mm VX5HD. The Swaro turret looks really interesting and probably much less hassle when changing loads than the CDS. Do you find you have enough adjustment in the 1" tube for varmint ranges?

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree. The .222 Magnum had a lot of followers in the benchrest crowd in the 1960's. Remington offered it in their 40X series. These days I regard the .222 Magnum as my "big gun" when prairie dog hunting -- I only bring it out when the PD's have become skittish and only let you see them when more than 300 yards away. For anything inside 300-350 yards I prefer to use either a .221 Fireball or a .20 Vartarg. The little cases with their small charge of powder don't heat the barrel nearly as fast as larger rounds, therefore you can safely fire more shots in a string before needing to let the barrel cool.

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have had that Leupold scope for quite a few years and it is one of the last Leupolds I will replace. It does work, but as I have with all the other Leupold scopes, I will replace it with the Swarovski Z5.

Optically, the Swarovski is superior and overall lighter. The ballistic turret with zero stop is a great scope for all types of shooting, I don’t shoot 1000 yard matches, so the Swarovski has all the adjustment and the best optics of any scope I use...