Finnwolf VL63 Rear sight removal and scope choice

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Nickthefox, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Nickthefox

Nickthefox Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Gday everyone ive recently purchased a vl63 in 308 and wondering if anyone has any info on removing the rear sight..im hoping to put a 50mm objective scope on..
    If its too hard to remove i will go for a smaller objective..
    I have attached photos showing two studs/plugs..

Thanks in advance
    IMG_0223.jpg IMG_0224.jpg nick

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that base is attached with silver solder. If so, you'll have to use heat to remove it.

3. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    The removal of the base . . . will leave an ugly scar.

4. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Can you measure the distance between the STUDS on top of the base on the gun. From the pictures it appears that they might have used the original holes in
    the barrel inserting screws and then grinding off the heads. If that is what they did the base may NOT be silver soldered and you may be able to drill off the remainder of the top of the screw to remove the base and then remove the shaft of the screw. By the way it is not the original base. If you give me the measurement from center to center I will be able to tell you if the studs line up with the holes in the barrel. If they match up the first thing I would try is the drilling of the top of the studs and see if you get lucky - if after doing that the base doesn't move then it may also be soldered. Or if you have a set of EASY-OUTS you may want to try removing the studs as a whole entity.

5. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Those "studs" are just die marks from the casting. The base is soldered on with leaded tin solder. Taking it off is not a problem, but the spot it leaves behind is hard (or impossible) to make pretty without completely refinishing the barrel.

deersako and topgear like this.
  6. Nickthefox

Nickthefox Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Gday marlin the measurement between the studs is 32mm..your help is greatly appreciated

7. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Gday - Nick Unfortunately Stone is correct as the marks are too far apart for them to be screws that were machined off - the sight base on your gun is quite a bit longer than the normal factory base found on the Finnwolfs - so as stated it has to be silver soldered on to the barrel which will require heating to remove and will as leave an ugly scar. The other issue will be sucking or wicking all the solder out of the factory holes if you intend to find and mount an original rear sight. Hopefully they aren't damaged.
    Good Luck

8. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G'day Nick, nice pick up on the Finnwolf. The .308's are harder to find here in Australia than the .243's, and both don't come up for sale often.
    The others are correct in the fact that the sight is soldered on and as PO4R has said, the 'studs' on the sight are die marks. It's the original factory sight on the earlier Finnwolves and I doubt very much there will be screw holes under it.
    Personally I think a scope with a 50mm objective will put the rifle out of balance, but you know what they say about opinions.....

9. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    That would have to be an extremely early Finnwolf if that is factory. I have seen 3 digit Finnwolfs and never seen a sight like that.

10. kim keen

kim keen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    wasnt that the one with fold down peep site