• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rarest Cal L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

If you're talking about L61R's with barrels that are not marked Bofors that were produced after 1969, I don't know the answer. If you're talking about the early L61R's that were made from 1961 to about 1969 with barrels that are stamped Bofors, I really can't answer which caliber is the rarest. But I believe the most difficult caliber to find is 375 followed by 300 Win. Mag., then 338 and 300 H&H.

There is a guy on another forum that claims he has a factory stock L61R chambered in .243 Win. I’m waiting on a picture.

I have found a Finnbear that is stamped Bofors and is chambered in 264 Win Mag. So not that rare? It's a Deluxe. What is it's value in 99% condition? I believe it has been refinished. Even the blue.

Respectfully, very highly suspect. Even if there’s a photo of an L61 with a .243 barrel screwed to it- it simply does not make it original. Maybe it’s actually an L579. I find so many misinformed folks (on the net) who may be well meaning but are often 100% wrong. Pretty sure others will agree.
I agree but would still like to see it- if it exists.

I have found a Finnbear that is stamped Bofors and is chambered in 264 Win Mag. So not that rare? It's a Deluxe. What is it's value in 99% condition? I believe it has been refinished. Even the blue.
Most .264's were Bofors since relatively few were produced after 1968 as the popularity of the caliber waned and it was eventually dropped. Curiously, in the early production of Finnbears the .264 was one of the most common calibers. I guess that speaks to fads and trends in chamberings.

Regardless, a Sako .264 in any configuration brings a premium, and especially in Deluxe. However, refinishing, even if well done, will discount the value substantially. A pristine, fully original Deluxe .264 could easily bring $2,500 or even more; how much a refinished one might command is much harder to say.

Of course, if you're the Gunfather you can charge double the price for a non-original Sako and apparently some yokel with more money than brains will pay it.

I would say probably 7x57 would be the rarest L61R. I believe a handful were made in this caliber, but I am not absolutely sure. There also may have been a few made in 7x64, Both calibers were made in A-series rifles, but I'm not sure about the L61R.

When we say "rarest" factory chambering, are we referring to total production or what chamberings were imported to the U.S.? I have to think that the metric calibers like the 7x57 & 7x64 would be more common in Europe, but I have no way of proving that.

With the recent trend of personal importation efforts in the US today, we may have to reconsider what we’ve been deeming as rare….
What was never before seen here is becoming..SEEN.

Bloo

When we say "rarest" factory chambering, are we referring to total production or what chamberings were imported to the U.S.? I have to think that the metric calibers like the 7x57 & 7x64 would be more common in Europe, but I have no way of proving that.
A good point, but Sako has, historically, been more focused on the US market than on Europe. And the Finnish domestic market favors American calibers such as .30-06 and .308. As best I recall, when I was in a hunting club in Finland we had one guy who used a 9.3x74R Valmet double to hunt moose. The rest of the guys mainly shot .308 or .30-06, and I think there was one .300 WinMag.

I agree that small-batch importing from Europe is likely to turn up more metric-caliber Sakos, but I think they were still a small fraction of L61R production.

Most .264's were Bofors since relatively few were produced after 1968 as the popularity of the caliber waned and it was eventually dropped. Curiously, in the early production of Finnbears the .264 was one of the most common calibers. I guess that speaks to fads and trends in chamberings.

Regardless, a Sako .264 in any configuration brings a premium, and especially in Deluxe. However, refinishing, even if well done, will discount the value substantially. A pristine, fully original Deluxe .264 could easily bring $2,500 or even more; how much a refinished one might command is much harder to say.

Of course, if you're the Gunfather you can charge double the price for a non-original Sako and apparently some yokel with more money than brains will pay it.
Hi Stonecreek,
Just one lefty to another, there is a right hand action, left hand shooter long action stock on E-bay if you need one, looks good!!B/T

Icebear, here is a L61R 7x57; and a 7x64 in an AIII & one in a AV (7x64).

Attachments

• IMG_8522.jpeg
    IMG_8522.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3261.png
    IMG_3261.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6765.jpeg
    IMG_6765.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3475.jpeg
    IMG_3475.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 24
If we are talking about Finnbear L61R`s that were imported to the United States. The
caliber would be 458 Win Mag. If we are talking about Sako 85`s maybe one in 500 Jeffery. Wayne

Thanks for the replys and shining a brighter light on this rifle for me.
The Bofors stamped 264 Deluxe is at the top or very close to being the most desirable L61R.But to give you just a small snapshot for the early L61's, I was at the Tulsa gun show this past weekend and saw 3 Bofors 264 Deluxes for sale. Two had the 26" barrel, the other 24.4". They ranged from $2300 to $2900. I didn't buy one because I have 4, and I'm saving my money to buy a Bofors marked Deluxe 375. In 40 years of looking for the Deluxe 375, I've seen a total of 4, and 2 of those were not for sale. Of the two 375's that were for sale, one was in poor condition so I passed, and I called too late on the other. It looks like I'm never going to find the bofors deluxe 375. The 375, 338 and 300Win Mag deluxe are very rare, but only a small number of Sako buyers consider them desirable, and it seems less are looking to buy one. While at the gun show, I also saw 3 Golden Anniversary, with 2 priced very close to $3000 and 1 priced at $4500. Also, I saw a total of 8-10 270, 30-06 and 7 mag. I didn't see a 300 H&H or 25-06.

Icebear, here is a L61R 7x57; and a 7x64 in an AIII & one in a AV (7x64).
Nice. I have AV's in 7x64 and 9.3x62 and an AV Classic in 6.5x55 but I think the L61R in a metric caliber is much more rare. That 7x57 is a real find.

Upper rifle is 7x64, lower is 9.3x62.
Rifle 1.JPG

Did not recall until now that a Deluxe 7x57 also a L61R. Also 2 L61R barreled actions in .458 that I bought new back when fromJerry’s Sport Center in Pa. & had custom stocked, BTW nostalgia price on .458’s was $200 a piece.

Attachments

• IMG_8661.jpeg
    IMG_8661.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8660.jpeg
    IMG_8660.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6872.png
    IMG_6872.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My thoughts: 375 bofors deluxe extremely rare, same for 7x57. Can't prove it but in USA, 7X64 L61r is rarest in a deluxe. Somewhere out there is something even more rare.

The shipping records show a handful in 8x57 and .308 Norma. None of these few were shipped to the U.S.

Back