• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rare Sako-Anshutz Captured

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
If you've been around this forum a while you'll probably know that I take an interest in "Proprietary Sakos", that is, rifles sold under another name either made by Sako or built on Sako actions. Examples are the Browning-Sakos, H&R Sakos, Marlin Sakos, Sears Sako, Montgomery Ward Sakos, and the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle (all of which I've acquired examples).

I've just "captured" two more, the first being the exceedingly rare Sako-Anschutz (we would normally say "Anschutz-Sako", but the opposite is the way it is engraved on the rifle). Prior to designing its own action for the .222, Anschutz produced a few rifles in that caliber on Sako L46 actions. Take a look at the photos:

Anschutz5.jpg
Anshutzt4 (800x400).jpg
Anschutz3 (800x387).jpg
anshutz1 (800x349).jpg
Anshutz2.jpg
Anshutz7 (800x600).jpg
Anschutz6 (800x249).jpg
As you can see, the rifle exhibits the typical Anschutz stock configuration with Schnable fore end, hogback or European comb, shadow cheekpiece, and skip line checkering. Both the two-range rear sight and the front sight are on contoured barrel swells. But perhaps the most notable feature is that Anschutz machined the factory Sako Tapered Dovetail down to the same Tip Off (rimfire-type) rail that it used on all of its other rifles, both rimfire and Hornet. You can even see the tooling marks beside the slimmed rails, as well as see the somewhat faint remains of the factory checkering on the top of the dovetails. The action was inspected as an action-only in November of 1961, so the rifle probably dates to around 1962.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet due to both weather, and not having a good set of rings for it on hand. However, its bore looks pristine, so I expect it to shoot as well as all of the other Anschutz products I've had experience with.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the barrel is marked "Model 1532". Oddly, this is the same designation that Anschutz used when they built their own action for the .222. Here is another Sako-Anschutz being offered for sale (at quite a premium price, I might add): https://1eininc.com/product/anschutz-sako-1532-222-rare/ And here is a whole gallery of photos the later Anschutz 1532 built on an action designed and built by Anschutz: https://www.bing.com/images/search?...z+Model+1532&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1364&ch=671

Next thread: A very scarce Beretta.

Last edited:
Nice find Stone!

I remember seeing one of these a while back , we may have even kicked it around here. Seems that it was built on a L461 action tho if I recall. Do the records show that being possible?

Good looking rifle, and from an exceptional vintage as well! :cool:

Seems that it was built on a L461 action tho if I recall. Do the records show that being possible?
The records don't show to whom or where an action-only was shipped, so it isn't possible to know whether Anschutz might have used some L461's (without finding one in the flesh, of course). However, since the action on the one I have was produced very late in the L46 run -- even after the L461 had been introduced -- it is certainly plausible that some Sako-Anschutz rifles could have been built on L461's. Another theory might be that Sako was "dumping" their old stock of L46's and Anschutz took advantage of their availability. We do know that Sako made a fairly large run of rifles around 1964 with very late L46 actions.

Hello Steve, What you call " barrel - swells " we in the UK call " Worms Collars " { A Gun & Rifle Trade Name } Also we call skip chequeringl " Scotch " chequering. The Aschutz .222 Rem. rifles over here in the UK used to be very popular, but not so now.
Blackjack

UPDATE: I failed to notice two things regarding the Sako-Anschutz. Upon close inspection it does have a very small and faint import mark on the bottom side of the barrel. I can't quite make out the four-letter name of the importer, but the importer's location is "Mobile AL". So, while the rifle is probably from the early 1960's, it would have been imported after the effective date of the 1968 GCA.

The other thing I failed to notice is that it has a third stock mounting screw in the forearm directly underneath the barrel swell for the rear sight. Anyone have a suggestion as to how snug this third screw should be?
ans8.jpg
While waiting on the proper scope mount to arrive I decided to give it a try with my septuagenarian eyes using the factory irons. The target was only fifty yards (okay, give an old guy a break!), but I was impressed with the little rifle's accuracy (or my luck, whichever.) The taped shot was the first, then I shot three more for a group. The blue lines on the target are a 1" grid. Not bad, eh? After shooting the group I drifted the rear sight a smidgeon to the left to improve the windage, however this was a somewhat academic adjustment since I'll likely only use it with a scope once the scope is mounted.

ans9.jpg

The other thing I failed to notice is that it has a third stock mounting screw in the forearm directly underneath the barrel swell for the rear sight. Anyone have a suggestion as to how snug this third screw should be?
This feature is also found on the pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I have read that this screw should be just snug enough that it doesn't back out from vibration, but not dead tight. This is similar to the advice from the Finnish military about adjusting the barrel band screw on a Model 39. This is secondhand; I have not done extensive tests on either my Model 70 or a military Sako. My very limited fiddling with forend tension seems to bear this out, but I would defer to anyone who has actually done a full test series.

And by the way, that's some nice shooting with open sights.

Nice 50yrd group!
I don’t think I’ve shot open sights since I was a kid. My Daisy had open sights as did my first .22 lr . The .22 was scoped later on in life in my teens, as as well as all my centerfire rifles.
Now, in my 60’s (barely :cool:), I have to unscrew the ocular bell out almost to its stop to focus the reticle.
At 50 yrds I do ok … at 100?
6712F81E-AA5A-4E81-BE30-795ECE322F58.jpeg

Not to good!
This was with a .22lr . Two different groups with a one click ramp adjustment between them. All I could really see in the sight picture was a yellow blur. The paper did eventuality expire from its wounds and field dressed easily….bloo:p

As I have never shot anything with a group, I would only count the one in the black diamond. As a "group" can be described as the "mean radius of dispersion", that looks like a .11" group to me. Nice shootin' !

I have read that this screw should be just snug enough that it doesn't back out from vibration, but not dead tight.
That was my best guess, also. From the grouping results, whatever its tension it seems to be doing just fine.

Neither my eyesight nor my marksmanship will match Stonecreek's 50-yard group, but I do enjoy shooting with iron sights. I'm especially fond of this very accurate .22, which used to be a Winchester Winder Musket. Some previous owner relined the barrel to convert it from .22 Short to Long Rifle.
Custom Winder 1.JPG

Latest posts

Back