Rare Pair Of Single Shot PPC's

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by kirkbridgershooters, Jun 3, 2018.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I managed to get an early 6mm PPC that Louis Palmisano had sent to a gun writer to test and evaluate back when they were first introduced. It was so early that I had to use 7.62X39 brass to form the 6mm from as the PPC brass was unavailable.

It shot tiny groups with no massaging at all, I was fulfilled and owned a significant rifle with real provenance and a serial number of A020. Then about a month ago I saw an advertisement on this site for a 22 PPC. Although I really didn't have any interest in a 22 PPC, I never let things go past without a look-see.

When I saw it had a serial number of A021, I knew I had to own it and now have a consecutive pair of single shot PPC's.

Today, I took them on a prairie dog safari and shot some prairie dogs. These guns won't see any time at a bench punching holes in paper. I have always found the real value in a rifle is what you can shoot with it and not groups on a target...
    DSCN4640.JPG DSCN4641.JPG DSCN4644.JPG DSCN4645.JPG DSCN4646.JPG

6x47l and deergoose like this.

2. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    You have certainly paired a nice set of PPC rifles. Beautiful looking rifles and consecutive serial numbers. I have been told the early A series single shots were extremly accurate, and you have both calibers. I have a B series # 714 in 6PPC and have fun shooting tiny bug holes. Congrats.

3. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    well you have just proved to me that I really do need another Sako - a PPC!

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kirk, if you don't mind sharing tell us about the loads you're using in both of your PPC's.

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have been slow to embrace the latest technology, whether it is firearms or social media. When I got the first PPC we didn't have all the new powders and fast twist and the best cartridge ever designed (6.5 Creedmoor) and a lot of other silly innovations that have set the shooting industry abuzz.

In those days the accuracy powder was H322 and so I used it to formulate the load that I used in the 6mm PPC. I also used Hornady 53 grain HP match bullets in my 22-250 and they shot tiny groups in my Ithica LSA 55 deluxe. So I opted for the Hornady 75 grain as it was a perfect match in configuration to the 53 grain HP I was using in the 22-250.

I got one hole groups with the 6mm and the H322 powder, but on the varmint application, it wasn't spectacular as the velocity was under 3000 FPS and it really didn't blow up gophers, and prairie dogs were a bit far for the PPC. When I recently tried the 55 grain Varmageddon 6mm bullets, I found the accuracy more than acceptable and the velocity and performance rivalled the 22-250.

When I got the 22 PPC, I already figured since I have kegs of H322, I should use that with the 22 PPC. I only tried 2 bullets, the 40 and 50 grain V-Max bullets with 2 different weights of H322. The 28 grains and 40 grain V-Max hit close enough to each other on the target, that I decided to use that load for the 22.

I have tons of old proven powders that worked 50 years ago and still work today. You won't see me shooting Varget or any fast twist barrel to compensate for inexperience to try and overcome the handicap that seems to prevail today among most shooters. It is likely also, that you will never see a 6.5 Creedmoor in any one of my safes...

DSCN1988.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    deergoose likes this.
  6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the reloading rundown. I've also found that the 55 grain 6mm's are the best varmint bullets in the PPC. Haven't seen any real difference in the Ballistic Tip and the Varmageddon, so I use whichever is available.

I burned up a couple of jugs of AA2200 in .221 Fireballs and the 6PPC (one was the original Czech surplus powder and the other was the US-made version and both did equally well.) I ran out of AA2200, but seem to now be having pretty good luck with H4198 in the PPC. AA1680 is the cat's whiskers in the Fireball with 40 grain bullets, and might do well in the 6PPC but Accurate lists no 6PPC loads with it and I haven't given it a try there. AA1680 also yields the best combination of accuracy and velocity in my Hornets.

7. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Excellent! I came within a mile of my range last week with the intent of trying out my AI 22PPC. The previous owner had @65 loaded rds of sundry types...and I bailed out, I didn't shoot any. I couldn't make myself trust these to be what they were labeled. Sooo, I've been pulling 53 and 52 gr sierras a few at a time. Live to shoot another day.

Gary

8. nockhunter

nockhunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very nice pair,,,INDEED! My A1 22ppc seems to like Sierra 50g blitz and a full load of H335 (27.5g) 3460fps, in Norma brass. (I think Hogdgon list 28g as max )

Mike

[​IMG]

9. 6x47l

6x47l Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Lovely superb and many more superlatives