Rare P94S Range variant - factory supplied in 2015!

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by DWH, May 29, 2020.

1. DWH

DWH Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK City of London
    38DD8306-858A-43CA-8B7D-66BBFA12AE7D.jpeg 66670A31-E425-4DCA-8C61-10B89860C6D6.jpeg I recently bought a rare and unusual P94S variant that may be of interest to other Finnfire fans!

It was advertised in the UK as a ‘starter’ target rifle outfit, with target sights, sling etc. The barrel was varmint weight at breech and muzzle, but reduced to sporter-weight between and was listed as ‘single shot’, with no magazine/well, but importantly it had a standard Range stock.... I assumed someone had modified it themselves as a target set up, but bought it ‘unseen’ as I was really after the stock, and had it shipped to my local dealer....
    When it arrived, included were a big Sako hard case, which had old UK Ministry of Defence and ‘GMK Tactical’ delivery address/labels on, and the user guide, and spec sheet photo attached.

On enquiring with GMK, (the UK importer), they told me it was one of ~20 sets put together as the GMK/Sako tender for the UK Cadet Target rifle replacement for the No.8 Enfield. This ended up being awarded to the presumably much cheaper Savage. Many of the 20 sets were apparently ‘destroyed’ in testing ie. drop, wet storage, etc etc....the few that survived were sold off as complete sets...... From the serial number GMK confirmed it was supplied in 2015, probably making it the newest P94S? It was a simple fix to add the complete magazine/well housing and a 10 round mag. I am aware of two other similar P94s sets plus another two based on the Quad.

It came with accessories worth nearly as much as it cost - Gehmann 598 sights, and unused target slings, Anschutz tunnel foresight and elements etc...

I am currently using the Range stock on my P94S Varmint, which I bought from new, but was considering selling off the sights and single shot parts and getting the barrel replaced to Varmint or integrally suppressed. However I wonder if they would be collectible and more desirable if left intact?
    Any thoughts or feedback welcome.

Thanks

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    piper235b and dgeesaman like this.

2. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Excellent! I would love to find one of those for my son to shoot in 4-H competition!

3. dodgyrog

dodgyrog Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    England
    State/Region:
    UK Durham City
    You dropped onto a lovely rifle there. I doubt I would change anything on it.
    I have a Range, Varmint (with Lilja barrel) and a sporter. They are all fantastically accurate rifles.
    I read somewhere a long time ago that the sporter was more accurate than the heavier barreled version but I have not been able to confirm this.
    I currently use the Varmint as a sporter weight benchrest rifle. It's every bit as accurate as my 'full race' benchrest Anschutz.

4. DWH

DWH Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK City of London
    Further to the above, I just recently stumbled across and acquired the attached three rifles, which were also part of the same trial. Two P94’s and a Quad equivalent, all supplied by Sako in 2015, making them the newest P94’s anywhere. They came with standard Range stocks, single shot platforms, Gehmann target sights, Sako hard cases, etc etc. All have hardly been fired, but were tested by the UK Ministry of Defence, so some minor marks, before being sold off....
    Richard Pope currently has them and they will be available for sale, either ‘as issued‘ as single shot, with the multi profile target barrel, or customised to order, including refitting as repeaters with any barrel/calibre option, (P94 as 22lr or 17HM2 only), including his integrally suppressed carbon fibre versions.

PM me if interested...

Attached Files:

5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    My friend and I have collectively tested at least four Quad 17HMR and four .22LR barrels, both Lilja and Sako makes.

Perhaps the most accurate of each caliber were Sako sporter contour. Overall it is my opinion that the contour has no relationship on accuracy.

As for the original post, that is a super cool rifle. I would enjoy it but keep everything intact and in the best possible condition.

David