Range Day With 4 Sakos

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kirkbridgershooters, Jan 12, 2020 at 6:33 AM.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    First of all, I never accused you of being inexperienced or naive. If fact, I think you are quite knowledgeable & "seasoned", which is why your reaction to my post & the Creedmoor in general perplexes me. Because some gun rag or naive shooter overhypes something does that mean we should all hate it & ignore any good qualities? I said nothing about something being "deader", whatever that means, & never touted it as a supreme bench rest cartridge, nor claimed any superiority over another round. I don't hate any cartridge & am glad we have all the choices & options we do. Your definition of what the Creedmoor was "designed" to do is a very narrow one & many shooters have expanded it's use far beyond that. The gun industry, those are the guys that make all the stuff we use & enjoy, needs to innovate & offer new things or their business will die!!! Maybe not everything that is "new" is all that good or is interesting to everybody, but I'm happy that we at least have the options. All those cartridges you shoot at PDs were new and innovative rounds when introduced & if the shooters of that time took the same views as the Creedmoor haters, we would all still be shooting the 45-70 at them. I see this Creedmoor hate a lot & for the life of me can't understand why a cartridge can cause so much animosity. Lighten up, Kirk, and enjoy. No one is forcing you to shoot a Creedmoor.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    kevinlg likes this.

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I am going to end this by saying, you take this personally, I don't. I qualified my position in response to a statement you made, not about me but in general and established that I am not naive. The comment had already been made in regards to deader.

I made the distinction already between 45-70's and modern cartridges and you want to backslide to that, which is another issue I have already addressed. What the Creedmoor was designed for is exactly what I said in the simplest terms, it was not made to be a hunting round but a shooting round for long range. I have no issues with that, it is all the hype attached to the cartridge after it’s success with long range shooting that leaves me unimpressed.

I don't like the hype and take a stand on that, but that bothers you as much as you say I am bothered by it's existence. What I feel about the cartridge isn't from jealousy or lack of appreciation of it, it is simply the image that the American shooter has of the cartridge and as I said before a very small % of shooters will use the gun for what it was designed for, the rest think it is magic and it is not.

I should be able to be left alone about my view on the cartridge as you say the Creedmoor followers are justified by the hype which is real, but unearned. I love guns, cartridges and shooting. I believe I have a vast knowledge of all sorts of cartridges and their qualities. I do admit the Creedmoor is a fine long range cartridge it just doesn't deserve all the attention it gets...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 5:37 PM
  3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I doubt I’d be going out on a limb by stating both of you gentleman are two of the forums most highly respected members.

Ironically, you’re both right, and have made excellent yet separate observations regarding this sub topic in my opinion. Having worked the industry over the years and seeing both sides it’s very easy to respect and understand both of your views.

Obviously the cartridge has merit and is here to stay. But, some writers and talking heads would have you believe you should empty your safe and fill it with Creedmoors. However, over the last couple of years, the cartridge has come along and evolved as a fine hunting round, due to hunting load development again here to stay.

I think passionately written statements often are misinterpreted, it’s easy to perhaps read something into a word or phrase, then feel misunderstood. I hope other will agree with me and I’ll say it again....Your both right...

Unclekax likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I apologize if I offended anyone in anyway, as that certainly was not my intent. I can't control how others interpret my comments, so I try to express myself as clearly as I know how. Evidently, I didn't do a good enough job this time. No hard feelings, at least from my side.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think I understand Kirk's feelings about the "Creedmoor", which is actually being used here as a term which more broadly encompasses the issue of product hype in the shooting world. As Kirk said earlier, and I certainly agree, there is little really new in shooting in the last 100+ years, just a few refinements.

But the shooting industry is challenged to find ways to keep selling the products it produces. After all, guns are very slow to wear out and don't deteriorate much just sitting in a safe, so they have to find ways to induce buyers to add to their gun inventories in order to sell any new guns. One way of doing this is to create the belief among buyers that something is "new" and does something better than a gun that they currently own can't do as well. This process of creating demand through altering beliefs is what we generally decry as "hype". It is this hype, much of it baseless or irrelevant and largely amounting to disinformation, to which many of us object.

There's nothing wrong with the Creedmoor cartridge, just as there's nothing wrong with its nearly century-old parent, the .250 Savage. It's just that experienced shooters recognize that there is no particular magic in it and were it not for the manufacturers and ammunition companies pushing guns chambered for it and offering a wide variety of ammunition for it, a shooter would be no better off with a Creedmoor than with the .260 Remington already in his gun safe.

kevinlg likes this.
  6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    It is simply called marketing. If you can't see that you have no reason to even comment.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Read what I said a little closer: "It is this hype, much of it baseless or irrelevant and largely amounting to disinformation, to which many of us object."

When "marketing" misleads the consumer it is a disservice to the shooting world. "Marketing" which implies that some very minor tweak to brass, powder, or lead somehow changes the nature of a centerfire cartridge in such a way that it makes others obsolete is simply "hype". Some might say that "If you can't see that you have no reason to even comment".

FLT likes this.