Rail Mount Scope Adapter for Sako Dovetail

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by icebear, Sep 23, 2018.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here's a very unusual item that I picked up at a gun show a few years ago. It's an adapter set to mount a German rail mount scope to a Sako. It has no markings on it whatsoever. I am inclined to think it was made by a small manufacturing shop in Finland or Germany in the 1950's or so, but that is a guess. Or perhaps it is a one-off piece made by a gunsmith; it kind of looks like it might have been made partially by cutting up a set of Weaver mounts. It's a clever design - the thumbscrews on one side clamp it to the Sako dovetail; the ones on the other side clamp it to the rail. There's a little tab on the rear base that flips down to serve the function of the alignment tab on a Sako rear base. I've tested it for fit to a rail mount scope and it looks like it would work, but I haven't actually mounted a scope to a rifle with it.

Have any of you ever seen such a thing before, and do you have any information as to when, where, and by whom it might have been made?

Rail Mount 1.JPG Rail Mount 2.JPG

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have one Sako, an L57 in 244 with the rail system on it for a Swarovski rail scope. I think they were counting on a bigger acceptance of this type of scope mounting than the public was interested in purchasing...

DSCN4177.JPG DSCN4178.JPG DSCN4179.JPG

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks for posting. Looks to me like your mounts and mine are two different critters. Do you know who made the ones you have, or if they are factory or custom? And what is with the teeth on the bottom of the scope rail? Is that some kind of proprietary Swarovski system? I haven't seen anything like that before.