• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gspsmoke4

Sitting in the mountains of Pa in the pouring rain. My range is closed for renovations and I have 4 rifles I have yet to fire a round through. A AV-.270, L61R-.30-06, a Rem VLS-6MM and a Browning 78 in 7X57.
I have handloads ready to try for all but the 7X57. I posted on the handload section of the forum for advise in loading for the 7X57 since I have never owned a gun in this caliber.But no one bit. It appears to be slightly less gun then the .270 and about the equal of the 7MM-08 and the .280. This would have me believe that the 140 and 150 gr. bullet weights would be the place to start. If anyone has experience with this round your advise would be appreciated.
I was on the SAKO website under old models and it would appear that SAKO did not chamber in this caliber . Can this be correct, asI have always read that it is one of the premier european calibers ??

gspsmoke4:
The 7x57 is an excellent round that unfortunately has been forgotten with all the "new" cartridges out there these days. Your B78 (I have two) combined with the 7x57 should make a sweet hunting rifle that will cleanly take any North American game animal short of the big bears. The bullet selection is great, velocity more than adequate for good trajectory, accuracy is good & recoil is very manageable. Is guess it's only fault is that it is old. If it were introduced last year as the 7mm Hot Blonde it would be the talk of all the gun writers. I feel that the 140gr bullet gives the best results with regard to trajectory, energy, & accuracy. If you handload, try powders that will fill the case from 85% to 95% & you should find a load that works well. With factory ammo, try 3 or 4 different brand/loads & you should find one that serves your purpose. The factory stuff is underloaded because of all the old surplus rifles out there. Handloads will give you markedly better performance, especially in the extremely strong B78 action.

Thanks much Paulsonconstruction . I have a range of bullet weights available for a 7MM . I only buy factory ammo to make brass, although I know it is much better then years ago, your favorite load can still go away. I will try the 140 gr. first as soon as I get my brass. Thanks again.

Back