P54 Questions about the 17 HM2

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by Timothy Yates, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Timothy Yates

Timothy Yates Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    I am thinking about getting a 17 HM2 barrel for another Finnfire Range. Before I did something like that I wanted to get peoples first hand opinion about the caliber, likes and dislikes and the Liljia barrel compared to the factory barrel.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Dave Buffington

Dave Buffington Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hi Tim!

My apologies for jumping into an old thread, but I think I can still contribute a bit ...

[​IMG]

From my experience with several 17HM2 rifles -- Browning, Kimber, Savage and Sako (a Quad with both factory and Lilja barrels) -- is an excellent small game cartridge and has the potential to be an excellent target cartridge.

As the specs indicate, it's a fast, flat shooting cartridge that eliminates the need to make mental bullet drop calculations within its effective range. The limit for reaching top accuracy is the lack of any variety of ammo. All currently available 17HM2 ammo is made by CCI whether its sold as CCI, Hornady or Federal. There is some debate over whether those brands are loaded to different specifications, but I've seen little or no difference between loads with the same specifications.

Is very good accuracy possible? Absolutely. See the targets above, but you just don't have dozens and dozens of loads to choose from, as you do with 22LR.

As for the difference between the factory and Lilja barrels? Again, I have both, and I would rate the Lilja barrel as slightly more accurate.

Enjoy!
    Dave

3. Dave Buffington

Dave Buffington Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Just found targets from the Kimber ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Great little round. Deserves to be more popular than it is.
    When I bought my Quad 4 barrel set, I stuck on the 17M2 to have a play thinking it would come off after 1 box of ammo and never see the light of day again. Suffice to say it has never come off. Without doubt THE best rabbit round going. Pity ammo supply seems to be a little spasmodic, at least in Oz.