Question regarding Browning / Sako

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Stephen Cea, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Stephen Cea

Stephen Cea Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Good evening, trying to help out an older buddy of mine who is curious as to when this Rifle was made, rate of twist and where to purchase mounts (he mention that a weaver #72 fit the rear but the holes on the #71 did not line up)...I figured one of you very knowledgable guys could fill in the blanks and steer me / him in the right direction.

Regards,
    Steve
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Sorry SN 1303Y4

3. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    serial no. 1303Y4 indicates a Sako short action(Y), 4 for the Year 1964. Yours is the Safari grade and had the standard 22 or heavy weight 24 inch barrel, and chambered in .222 or .222mag.

4. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Browning catalog for 1964 shows the twist rate to be 1 to 14. Browning offered only a one piece base for these fantastic little rifles. Several other manufacturers offered both 1 and 2 piece bases, but I'm not familiar with them. Browning no longer produces the bases and rings for these almost 60 year old rifles, but they show up on ebay fairly often. I've attached a spreadsheet I made to take to gun shows when I'm looking for the old Browning stuff. Please note that for some reason Browning produced the rifle with 2 different front hole spacing. The base for your buddy's rifle will be code stamped either BS or BH depending on the front hole spacing being either 7/8" or 3/4".

Browning Rings and Bases.jpg

FLT likes this.
  5. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thanks guys for your help, I will pass this info along and might post a WTB ad here to see if a member has one or a set they are willing to part with.

regards,
    steve

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Finding the right mount bases for the Browning-Sakos is complicated by the fact that Browning had Sako mill down the rear bridge so that it is shorter than the front receiver ring, therefore the bases have to be of different heights to make the rings level. The only bases I've seen that fit them are either two-piece Weavers or one-piece Brownings (made by Redfield). Redfield also marketed the same base under its own name. But as has been pointed out, hole spacing may differ.

7. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thanks Stone Creek !