Question on Sako Vixen L461

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Trapper105, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Trapper105

Trapper105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Did Sako make a Vixen L461 with a fluted barrel? If they did. Is it a rare? I know Sako has fluted barrels on newer rifles, but I’ve never seen one on older Vixens. Thanks.

2. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think fluted barrels came into fashion after vixen’s had stopped being manufactured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Trapper105

Trapper105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    That’s what I thought too. But, I was looking at a 1970’s vixen with a legit Finland Sako barrel with original flutes. Owner said it was a rare Sako. I couldn’t find anything on the internet about Sako making an early Vixen model with fluted barrel. The mystery continues....

4. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yeah, I hear you. I have a Sako AV in 7mm Rem mag and it was assembled by Gregg Warren in Oregon at Kimber of Oregon back before Kimber was still building one off rifles by special order. He’s long passed now, but I was able to contact and speak personally with a gentleman who worked with Gregg on my rifle before he parted ways and opened Cooper firearms. He gave me very little, but some history on my rifle. Funny, he remembered the order. My barrel was a custom barrel made by some famous barrel maker in NM, the stock was made by a nobody that turned out to be someone who left a trail of beautiful and ugly rifle stocks. It was built in 1984 or 1985.

5. Trapper105

Trapper105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon

6. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It’s a gorgeous rifle. To The untrained eye, just looks like a Sako rifle sleeping in a Turkish walnut stock. I’m actually as we are chatting having it changed up a bit to make it more shoulder friendly. I had a mercury recoil reducer and a kick eez butt pad installed. The original barrel finally gave up the ghost so I am having a Kreiger heavy sporter barrel installed. That should tame the recoil for bench shooting.

7. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    [​IMG]

This my 7 mag. Picked it up today.

8. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Yes sir. It sure is pretty. If you decided to put it down just leave it on my doorstep.

rick

9. Trapper105

Trapper105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
  10. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Naw, my daughters can fight over it when I’m gone. My brother and I were both given same rifles for Christmas gifts in 1984 by our parents. First time I have had anything done to it that required a gunsmith. It is unbelievable that it’s the same rifle. LOL, It was pretty beat up.