• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Proof Mark Forensics

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

eddsako

Banned
I have been chasing this 218 BEE for some time now and have decided to let it go based on the information I believe to be true. Fore end has been added as well.The proof marks appear to be forged, not the proof marks on the receiver but the barrel. . Regardless there are a number of issues with barrel proof marks namely the:
The barrel profile looks a lot like a sako .
Regardless of the proof marks it could still be an early 218 sako barrel that has been proof marked by a
1. Stamping indentation depth is varied (noticeable when magnified)
2. The marks look like they may have been engraved.
3. The lettering has double imagery
4. The lettering is uneven.
5. The lettering has different sizes.
6. The lettering is distorted and what appears to be a Lions head is also distorted.
7. Arrangements and spacing, alignment, formatting differs to first picture provide which is a confirmed original.
Regardless of what I think< What do you guys think? I have had many send PM's and thankyou as you all agreed with each other. Here are the pics.
8. The numbers on the barrel have shorter end lines.
1. Correct proof style

sako 218 barrel markins 34.jpg

2. Possible forgery
L46 stamps 2.JPG
218bbbbb.JPG

Attachments

• 218 stamps1.JPG
    218 stamps1.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 45
I have been chasing this 218 BEE for some time now and have decided to let it go based on the information I believe to be true. Fore end has been added as well.The proof marks appear to be forged, not the proof marks on the receiver but the barrel. . Regardless there are a number of issues with barrel proof marks namely the:
The barrel profile looks a lot like a sako .
Regardless of the proof marks it could still be an early 218 sako barrel that has been proof marked by a
1. Stamping indentation depth is varied (noticeable when magnified)
2. The marks look like they may have been engraved.
3. The lettering has double imagery
4. The lettering is uneven.
5. The lettering has different sizes.
6. The lettering is distorted and what appears to be a Lions head is also distorted.
7. Arrangements and spacing, alignment, formatting differs to first picture provide which is a confirmed original.
Regardless of what I think< What do you guys think? I have had many send PM's and thankyou as you all agreed with each other. Here are the pics.
8. The numbers on the barrel have shorter end lines.
1. Correct proof style

View attachment 5887

2. Possible forgery
View attachment 5888
View attachment 5890

It would have fooled me!!

I'm not sure, from the pictures, that you can say this is a forgery. I have several Sakos that show the same "hand done" type stamping. Some have later serial numbers (by 5000) than the ones that are "perfectly" roll stamped, so I don't think it is a result of when they were built. Nothing in the pics, at least, that would make me believe they are not factory originals. The short shank & barrel profile are exactly like an early 50's L46 I have that has the "perfect" stampings.. I also have a mid 50's L46 with a straight taper barrel that is hand stamped similar the one in the pics. Nothing is surprising with Sakos, so don't assume they are "forgeries" just because they don't fit what you think they should look like. Just my two cents worth.

The stock on the rifle is of course a custom or customized. The metal stamping on the barrel doesn't look "Sako" to me and it isn't where it needs to be. Even tho Sako has had some surprises over the years I am still uncomfortable with the authenticity of this one. It would take a forensic scientist to examine it and give any kind of a reasonable opinion. I couldn't come close to taking a chance on it. It is a nice looking custom as far as I am concerned and that's all.-Misako

Latest posts

Back