Problems with Bolt and Safety

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Super Dave, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Hi all,

I took the bolt apart for cleaning. Silly me...followed the instructions to take it apart but couldn't figure out how to put it back together.

I brought it to a local gunsmith and he put it back together and to fit a new stock since the old one was too short.

Son of a gun, the darn thing isn't working properly. He swears it's put together like it should be. The bolts not working like it supposed to. When I lower the bolt to chamber a round the firing pin doesn't always stay back. Sometime it goes forward like I'm holding the trigger when I close the bolt. Also, the safety won't fully engage each time. It get's stuck in the middle.

Can you guys look at my bolt to see if anything looks obviously out of place? It's got to be something simple.

Thanks,
    Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. m995

m995 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Did you say he replaced the stock? Remove the stock & check for contact with the trigger group & safety. Operate the action/trigger/safety out of the stock.

3. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    ^ This.

The trigger is at fault, not the bolt.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dave,

Your "half safety" problem may be due to your new stock.

The bolt notch relief, in the side of the stock, may not be deep or long enough. That condition would not allow the bolt handle
    to lower enough for the safety lever tab to properly engage the slot at the root of the bolt handle. More stock inletting, for proper bolt handle relief/clearance, would be required.(add: Also, there's the notch at the top of the stock, for the safety lever itself. But, that would be pretty obvious.)

As for the trigger, it could just simply be dirty or be set a bit too light via the trigger lever pressure return spring. More difficult to figure out, would be if the new stock is flexing the action at the rear tang area, or the bottom metal trigger guard is bearing against the bottom of the trigger housing.

As has been said, a good starting point would be to check the bolt/trigger/safety functions, with the barrelled action out of the stock.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  5. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Thank you for the tip. I'll take it out of the new stock tonight and see what happens. I appreciate the help.
    Dave

6. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Aw man, it does seem to be sticking when the action is removed from the stock.

The gunsmith thought that some part inside of the trigger needed to be replaced. Does Berretta still carry parts for these old guns?

We have another local gunsmith that I hear good things about. The problem is that he's backed up. If he's willing to take a look I'll try to bring it to him for a second opinion.

Thanks for your input.
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    That's what we do here at sako collector enjoy super Dave

8. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Dave- All of what you mentioned can be reproduced by having the trigger out of adjustment and installed improperly on the action. You do need to have a "second" smith look at it. Also check for something like a weed seed stuck in the trigger mechanicals. I would also ask if the rifle's barreled action has been "Bedded"?-Misako

9. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Good morning. Yes, the new set up included bedding. I'll try to contact the other local gunsmith today. If he doesn't want to deal with it then I'll need some recommendations from you guys on where to send it.
    Thanks,
    Dave

10. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I had some difficulty with a bedded stock once. The bedding compound was interfering with the safety mechanism when the action was in the stock. As soon as I removed some of this, the problem disappeared. Still, your problem sounds more like the trigger assembly is not functioning properly, in or out of the stock. Send tickets, Dave, and I will come fix it--free!-Misako

11. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    It sounds like the bedding is causing some trouble too.
    The good news is that it seemed to group well.
    I appreciate the help,
    Dave

12. tslans

tslans Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    I have a complete spare trigger--the skeletonized version. It is from a M74 Super Action. I installed a new safety slide, safety slide screws, and trigger pull adjusting screw nut. You can have it for $75.00 plus Priority Mail shipping, insurance, packaging, and handling. I will adjust the cocking piece stopper engagement to the cocking piece on my L61R, the trigger over travel to nearly zero, and trigger pull to 3 pounds. I do not use Loctite on triggers. I use white enamel paint to secure the settings.

Tracy

13. Super Dave

Super Dave Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Thank you Tracy. I will send you a private mail.
    Dave