Primer for .222 Rem

Discussion in 'Handloads for all Sako models' started by HoosierHunter, Jul 25, 2018.

1. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I will be loading in the future for the .222 remington. My on hand supply of primers include an abundance of cci 450. Would these be a good choice for use in this non magnum round? I plan to use 50 grain rounds over Benchmark, H322, IMR 4198 to start.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The "magnum" primers are not necessary for your .222 but will do just fine in it. Typically, there is little difference in the pressure or velocity between "standard" and "magnum" primers -- just pay attention to the usual pressure signs as you would when substituting any component.

Reloading manuals (and internet data published by powder and bullet manufacturers) keep their recommended loads within SAAMI pressure standards. The pressure standards for the .222 Remington are somewhat less than those for the cartridges developed later from its parent case, meaning that you've got a generous margin of safety with "book" loads for the .222. Substituting even the "hottest" primer won't take you outside of that safety margin.