• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

PPC BENCHREST MODELS

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Litetrigger1

I'm curious about the number of SAKO PPC (.22&6mm) Benchrest Model rifles that are actually used. The reason I'm curious is because I have a.22 PPC heavy barrel bench rifle that is unfired and still in the box it came in, and it occurs to me that there are SAKO collectors who may have done likewise. The reason I bought it was because of the very low SS#, and understand that the numbering of PPC series began at 1. I once owned the same in 6mm-PPC and fired it a few times. It was rather nicely accurate, probably the most accurate production rifle I had ever fired up until that time. Since then I've never seen one on a firing line anywhere and never hear reports of anyone shooting them.

The PPC calibers were numbered separately than the other AI/L461 actions. The 6mms were A-001 to C-180. The 22s were A-001 to A-553. What numbers are in between or how many were made I don't know. You won't see these on the Benchrest circuit has they didn't have the rigidity or the same chamber (in the neck area) to meet the demands of that crowd. They are, however, extremely accurate rifles, just not quite enough for "benchrest" standards. They make outstanding long range rifles for colony varmint shooting. I think most are stuffed away in someones safe being hoarded & neglected. Gee, someday they may be worth enough to buy the wife a new fridge & stove.

I've taken mine to the fields a few times.

It's a 22PPC-BR, upon which I've mounted a Leupold 6.5-20XAO Target. After much back-and-forth work, I was able to adjust the Sako Target Trigger to 6 ounces.

At 3900 fps, the Hornady 40 V-Max works great on PD's.:target:

2ldd7qq.jpg

There goes Kevin again with more of the messed up, squiggly wood. You would think he could find some nice, straight-grained wood stocks once in a while.

paulsonconstruction,
The barrel is a 26" Shilen match grade 1 in 14 twist chambered in 6mm PPC. The rifle was made by a gunsmith Bob Taylor Gunsmithing, Lidsdale who also made the stock. It is a very nice piece of wood and I love shooting this rifle. The local BR people hate it with a passion though, can't say I blame them as it does shoot remarkable well :bigsmile1:

That Sako of Kevins is a very nice piece of gear.
Pete

Last edited:
You got me !

I need a PPC !

Well done guys they look great and certainly get good results.

Kevin, my workshop looks very similar to yours, except that I threw away the phone. My wife doesn't like it but I get a lot more done !

Rowdy

paulsonconstruction,
The barrel is a 26" Shilen match grade 1 in 14 twist chambered in 6mm PPC. The rifle was made by a gunsmith Bob Taylor Gunsmithing, Lidsdale who also made the stock. It is a very nice piece of wood and I love shooting this rifle. The local BR people hate it with a passion though, can't say I blame them as it does shoot remarkable well :bigsmile1:

That Sako of Kevins is a very nice piece of gear.
Pete
Very nice!! Is that a #6 or #7 contour? With that 14 twist what kind of pills can you push down the tube?

Rowdy: Communications, to the outside world, must be maintained.......when I've been banished to my "Fortress Of Solitude"(aka The Dog House).:amen:

For Stone......another not-so-straight grained wood. It's an H&R 317(Sako L461 Dove-tailed) in 222 Rem....complete with Conetrol's!!:tongue:

2l99xi.jpg

Last edited:
Back