Posting lots of photos - advice needed

Discussion in 'Guidelines' started by piper235b, Mar 16, 2014.

1. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi
    What is the best way to post up a thread with lots of photos. I just tried to post a new thread and it warned me I had exceeded 4 photos.

Thanks
    Piper

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Piper. I load mine in jpg format so they are easier to open although they will not blow up as large as some like to load up. I don't load more than 4 at a time anyway so you may have to load them just 4 at a time per post.- Misako

3. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Before loading up any photos to photo hosting sites such as Photobucket or forums such as this it pays to resize them. One of the easiest to use is Microsofts Image Resizer which was one of their Powertoys. However they discontinued it after XP but it has been recreated for use by later OS's by an enterprising programmer - just google Image Resizer for Windows or go to http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ . It is really easy to use and much simpler than using a photo-editing program. Just right click on your photo.

In general for forum posting it pays to load your photos to a photo-sharing site such as Photobucket (the free option is adequate for most users if you don't mind ads). Instead of posting your photos directly on the forum you just post a link to your photo in Photobucket so you are not using any of the forum's bandwidth or whatever. Linking is easy. Open your photo in Photobucket or similar and copy the Img link alongside and paste it in your post.

At least that is how I do mine. You can link videos too but that can be a little trickier as not all photo-hosting sites host videos and there are size restrictions.

If you want to maintain your privacy and not publish personal details or other embedded info (such as GPS coords of your home or secret hunting locations) make sure your photo hosting site is set to Private and is password protected. When linked to a forum as described above viewers will be able to see your picture but will not be able to browse your albums. Windows OS's have provision for removing embedded information from photos but I can never remember where to find it and use a freebie program called BatchPurifier which can purge a whole folder of pictures at once. I am sure there are other programs out there, but this one works fine as far as I can tell. It is amazing how much personal information can be gleaned from unpurged photos and documents such as MS Word.

Clear as mud? - David.

4. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thanks for your advice guys,
    I've ended up just posting 4 at a time, slow way to do it, but it gets there.

Cheers
    Piper