Pop Quiz Question

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by sakorick, Jul 18, 2021.

1. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    I own Sako L579, .243, SN 19890. According to the original hang tag the date of inspection was 17-10-61. It has a 22 7/8 inch barrel. Can anyone take a guess on the number of grooves in it's barrel?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Old Hippie likes this.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    12!
    Is there a prize?
    ;)

Quizable Hippie

edit: does it have an “N” stamped on the barrel, with the inspector stamp?

3. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Yes it does have an N stamp with another stamp with a crown on top of an animal's head? I had trouble counting them. I would get to 7 and say no way plus my eyes are shot. Why so many grooves? Do you know what the twist was on these. Didn't Marlin also make this type of barrel?? Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Unclekax likes this.
  4. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Not exactly sure on the twist , it will be metric and more than likely it will be slow, seems like 1-15 or something close, maybe. I know that I have a couple that don’t like much more than 95-100 g pills and some heavier will keyhole. I keep mine 95g and under , 75g Hornady Amax do real well in mine.
    As far as the 12 groove barrels, why so many? I say why not? Long ago when I was made aware of it, I understood it to be a real good thing if you had it.
    The N stamp…it’s only on .243 caliber barrels as far as I know and I’ve never figured out why…another Sakoddity to deal with I suppose!

Hippie

5. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Oh yeah
    The animal is a lions head, with a crown , a national symbol in Finland, used on all Sako and Tikka military and civilian firearms I believe.

6. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    We’re these called “multi groove” barrels? s/n 866*** also has the Aussie “different” bolt shroud and long extractor......
    I have a HB L461 in .222R that also has the multi grooves.....
    I think this subject has been discussed before?

7. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Marlin had a “micro groove” barrel, that had a kinda counter stepped lands and groove system. The grooves had grooves, which seemed groovy at the time but the barrels didn’t share the longevity of Sako’s Bofors steel . Many Marlin/Sako rifles where thought to be shot out quickly in comparison.

Hippie

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako 12-groove barrels were common during the early years of the L-series production. They are often confused with the very different Marlin "MicroGroove" barrels, largely because the Marlin 322 and (rare) 422 models with their MicroGroove barrels were built on Sako L46 actions. (Incidentally, I've owned several Marlin 422's and found them all to be very accurate.)

I've never run across a Sako .243 with a twist slower than the (approximately) 1-10" which has long been the standard for that cartridge. All of the Sako rifles with 12-groove barrels have been as accurate as the 6-groove barrels in my experience.

9. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Does anyone out there own or otherwise have in their possession a Sako of any caliber besides.243 win with N stamped on the barrel?

Hippie