Please help me close a Sako

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Ottaprime, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Ottaprime

Ottaprime Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Owners!

I have an old Forester 243 that I love shooting and the action of it. I am now looking at choosing my first new Sako and I need some help because there are so many options! I want the next caliber range up from a 243 so I am looking at a 30-06, 300 win or 338. I’m the hardware is what’s important to me, and on the website I can’t see a difference between the grade/quality of following models actions, triggers and barrels. Does the barrel length make a difference to bullet performance?

Sako Bavarian 300 & 338. 620mm barrel

Sako 85 classic 338 only - 540mm barrel

Sako 85 classic deluxe 30-06 Only 570mm barrel

Sako 85 delux 30-06 only. 570mm barrel

Sako 85 hunter 300, 338 and 30-06 620mm barrel

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What caliber you get depends on what you are hunting and at what range. So, to provide any useful advice, we would have to know what the new rifle is for. My one piece of advice would be to get a magnum only if you need a magnum. A .30-06 is adequate for most medium to large game under most circumstances, and it does its job with less ammo cost, noise, recoil, muzzle blast, etc. compared to a .300 or .338 Win Mag.If you are just shooting at the range for fun and target practice, I'd definitely go with the 06 for cost and comfort.

Generally speaking, more barrel length gets you more velocity. How much more depends on the caliber, bullet weight, and load. This is because the longer the bullet stays in the barrel, the more powder burns and accelerates the bullet. A longer barrel can also be less accurate if it is very light, because it will vibrate more than a shorter, heavier barrel. The hotter the magnum load, the greater the advantage of a longer barrel, as a magnum in a short barrel leaves a lot of powder unburned. Of the list you have provided above, the one that I would definitely rule out is the .338 Magnum with a 540mm barrel. That will be the least pleasant to shoot. The proper use for a gun like that would be large game in the bush where a short, handy rifle is desirable - but it will punish you with noise, recoil, and muzzle blast.

3. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    mate, from one aussie to another, get onto used guns .com or ozguns.com, buy the best L61r or av model you can find or put a looking for add in usedguns.com. might take a while will be better in the long run.
    just my 2 cents worth. long time sako owner user. no plastic or stainless in my safes.

dgeesaman and Unclekax like this.