Please educate me on L579 vs AII action, etc.

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Rick Omohundro, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Hello all,
    I think I understand that through the evolution of the L61R/AIII/AV actions that the only real difference is that the AV has a longer tang. Are there similar differences in the change from L579 to the AII action? Or would the footprint be the same. I have an early AII Classic in 308 which I can’t bring myself to hunt with and am considering a McMILLAN stock for it. I am also eyeing a L579 in 308 and would like to know if the same stock would fit both?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Rick

Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Depends!! The main difference between the L579 & the AII is the addition of the bolt shroud. The same is true for the L61R & AIII. The AV also has the longer tang. The L579/AII tangs are the same. Even though the L579 & AII actions are the same(except for the bolt shroud), there were changes in bottom metal/floorplate shapes & barrel contours that can affect aftermarket stock fit. It's not certain that one stock will fit an AII & a L579 "perfectly" because of some of the minor production changes I mentioned that occurred over time. If the L579 is from late in it's production period, the bottom metal & barrel contour "could" match your AII's. If you had both in hand, inspecting & taking measurements would resolve the issue. The other issue is what bottom metal & barrel contour is the aftermarket stock inletted for, a early L579, a later L579, or the AII?

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Written like a true Sako expert. I once ordered a McMillian stock for an L579 thinking it would drop in like a glove, nope it required minor fitting based on exactly the differences described above. Fortunately, it was minor fitting and after an hour or so I was good to go.

4. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Thank you for the very thorough response! I’m not sure which direction I want to go. I hunted this year with an AV Handyfiber and really enjoyed it. All that time in the deer stand gave me the idea that an AII Fiberclass could be the perfect hunting rifle for me. I understand there were some produced but I don’t recall even seeing a picture of one. I’m thinking as close as I can get would be to order the stock from McMillan and use one or the other barreled actions.
    Thanks,
    Rick

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Personally I’ve only seen the Sako Fiberglass rifles in longer actions, but I’ve certainly not seen everything. AII length fiberglass rifles could be out there somewhere. I might not hunt with a pristine AII either. My only dilemma was which camo pattern to pick because the L579 I bought had a badly broken stock. lol...Even with my experience, I could not fix it. The rifle is sub MOA with just about any ammo and is perfect for blacktail hunting in Oregon. Cheers.
    r

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In addition to the slight differences Paulson mentions, the early L579's had a slightly wider bottom metal. Generally, if the floorplate release of an L579 is a serrated half-moon inside the trigger guard then it has the wider bottom metal. But only measuring the actual piece will tell the tale.

7. L579

L579 Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Haelsingland
    I have two L579's which both have the bolt shroud.
    The only thing that is certain regarding Sako models is that you can't be certain...

Skickat via Tapatalk

8. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Some L579s ended up with AII shrouded bolts during the change or transition to the new bolt. There were probably L579 stamped actions & AII stamped actions in the production at the same time during that period. Sako never left any parts unused.