• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Pictures added 1/12/19 of Sako L-461 .222 Remington magnum value

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Geno

I've actually been a member up here for a whole bunch of years but had to re-register because of lost passwords and change in internet server and inactivity. In about 2000 I purchased a Sako Vixen L-461 in .222 magnum, Bofors barrel, Sako rings, serial number 752xx. I shot it a little at that time and it grouped very well. It is probably about 98% wood and metal with the original Sako butt plate. I have 400 Remington cases unfired which I purchased at that time and a few loaded rounds. I have noticed what appears to be a bushing in the chamber which is silver, not blue and asked questions on this forum as to whether this could have been factory or not. Nobody had any definitive answers at that time. The gun appears to have been shot very little and was bought from an older gentleman who never mentioned the bushing. I don't know if he was the original owner of it or not. It shoots well and the fired brass looks very normal. Based on my description, does anyone have an estimate of the value of the package? It has a clean period Redfield 6x18 scope on it which could stay with it or I could keep it.
My old post is still up here. I can't attach it but you can search "vixen chamber bushing "
1/12/19 Sorry it took so long to get these pictures up. They are below. That is a difficult area to photograph but I think you can see what I am talking about. The gun has a Bofors barrel and overall is probably 98%. I removed the scope to facilitate the chamber pictures. I am interested in selling it as I have several other Sako rifles and I can't shoot them all. (.222's .243's and an '06

Last edited:
Pics would help to value and to see this "bushing".
Here in the great white north the last one i saw for sale was $1400. Thats some where between $900-$1000 usd.

This is certainly very possible that it is a machine mark. Anyone want to make any guesses on the value of the package with or without the scope? 400 new cases would be a lifetime supply.

A 98% “Bofors” marked 461 should be around $1100.00 bare. Maybe a bit more for the right person and market. It is sad to see rifles as good as a Sako sell for less than what it is worth, but I think the rifle is worth more than the market will bare. The scope adds little if anything to the value of the gun. Sako rings would be worth more to me as I would just sell or trade off that scope.

I own 3 in 222 mag, a heavy barrel, a 469 and a Bofors deluxe. I have owned several more and consider the 222 mag to be the best all around varmint cartridge. I have paid all sorts of prices to get them, but selling them takes the right buyer. Few people understand just what a great rifle you have there.

The brass would be better sold separately, as anyone that does know how great that cartridge really is will buy it because they know it is hard to come by.

A few months ago I purchased an L469 sporter in .222 Magnum with a Redfield 3x9 in Sako rings off of Gunbroker for around $1200. Condition is VG to excellent, it was complete with the sight hood, the bridges weren't buggered from scope bases with set screws, and it shoots sub-MOA groups even with junk Remington ammo. I see similar guns on Gunbroker from time to time at similar prices. That seems to be about a market value for the L469 as anything priced any higher doesn't attract bids. I would think the value of an L461 would be somewhat less, since it is not as rare as the older L469 with detachable magazine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back