Finnwolf VL63 Peep sight

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by dynnis, Feb 26, 2021.

1. dynnis

dynnis Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Trondelag
    Hi!

I Wonder if any one of you know if it is ok to use any of the old Sako peep sights for my Finnwolf.

Today I have used an old safariscope with original old Sako scope mounts, when hunting deer.

But I will retire it from hunting since it’s still is in good condition, and I want to shelter it from rain, rocks and cold weather.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Tore it is certainly ok to use a peep sight on your Finnwolf but be aware depending on your front sight blade height you may need to locate a taller one and swap it.

dynnis likes this.
  3. dynnis

dynnis Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Trondelag
    Ok - thanks!

But what kind of rear sight was they originally delivered? What kind of rear sight? Or is it like on other Sako modells that you can find different types?

4. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Tore a lot of the early 4 shot version guns did not have rear sights and the barrels were not drilled/tapped. If the barrel on your gun is drilled and tapped then you would likely need a sight like the attached photo. I do have a spare if you want one start a conversation with me.

Attached Files:

5. dynnis

dynnis Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Trondelag
    No, it's one of the 4 shot versions that don't have any holes on the barrel. But thank you for your offer.

When I got it it only had the an old scope and the original Sako scope mount. The front sight was luckily there with the sight cover still in place. So maybe I just should keep it as is, and get a new scope.

But I think it would have been more fun with a peep hole or some kind of rear sight.
    IMG-2025.jpg IMG-2026.jpg

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako made a removable peep sight which sits on the rear dovetail of the receiver on the bolt guns, and on the rear dovetail base (which is screwed on) of the Finnwolf. If your Finnwolf is equipped with original Sako ringmounts then it will have the screw-on bases and can mount a Sako removable peep sight.

Those peep sights are fairly common in the U.S. because virtually no Sakos shipped to the U.S. were equipped with rear sights, so many people bought the accessory peep sight. Those same accessory sights may not be so common in Europe since most Sakos shipped there were equipped with rear open sights.

I have several of the peep sights and would be glad to sell you one; however shipping from "here" to "there" can be fairly pricey. So, send me a Private Conversation if I can help.

dynnis likes this.
  7. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Tore since your gun is the 4 shot version it more than likely has the higher front sight blade and adding a peep to the rear original screw on scope base should work just fine. If you don't have the bases I do have spare sets but no screws for them. But a 6x48 scope base screw will work. Included a picture of what the bases look like.

Attached Files:

dynnis likes this.
  8. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
  9. dynnis

dynnis Member

Country Flag:
    Norway