p78 biathlon rifle

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by sakop94, Dec 18, 2009.

1. sakop94

sakop94 Member

does anybody have one of these would love to see a picture
    is sako still making a biathlon rifle

2. dappa

dappa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I'd love to get one here's a pic found some time ago

Attached Files:

3. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    20171015_135524.jpg IMG_1631.jpg 20171015_135211.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As I understand it, Biathlon rules require that the rifle be manually operated. But modern Biathlon rifles have been highly refined to use a "flick bolt", a sort of straight pull bolt action which can be operated much more rapidly than a turnbolt like the Sako Model 78. Also, the "flick bolt's" operation doesn't require it be moved from the aimed position, thus making succeeding shots much more rapid than with a turn bolt. Thus, fine rifle that it is, the Sako 78 Biathlon is hopelessly obsolete as a Biathlon competition rifle.

To my knowledge, Sako isn't trying to make a Biathlon rifle presently. There is a Russian-made model which dominates the field.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Biathlon used to be shot with turnbolt centerfire rifles. Sako made a centerfire biathlon rifle in .243. The Finnish military also built biathlon rifles out of military Mosin Nagant actions. These rifles resemble the m/28-76 target rifles that were imported a few years ago. I have a photo of a.243 Sako biathlon rifle in one of my reference books; I'll scan it and post it if I can find it. The Finnish word for biathlon is "ampumahiihto," literally "shooting-skiing."